Jump to content
Fly Tying
robow7

Question for Regal vise owners

Recommended Posts

Do any of you Regal vise owners have the Big Game vise head and do you feel it could replace the more standard jaws if you spent most of your time tying size 1/0 to 12 with the majority of the work in the size 1 to 4 range.  I know what Regal's recommendations are for each head but wonder what your feelings are on the Big Game head and can it really pull off the range that they state, 5/0 to 22.  As always, thank you for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but I have the regular jaws, and if you’re looking to tie bigger bugs, I would definitely go with the big game jaws. Anything over a 4 can be tough for the regulars, but they do work outside of their stated range as far as smaller flies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be careful going too small, you only have to experience shooting hooks and chipped jaws once to know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have the traditional jaws from ions ago. Not stainless. I think at the time there was only regular and midge, but I might be wrong.

My higher tying range is 3/0 salt and 5/0 fresh. Never a problem if the hook is set in the groove.

Lower range (only on occasion) for me is 16. No way to set them in the groove, I still bend them regularly, but they do not come out.

Unless designs have been changed or re-labeled, big game might be too big when you go down to 12. The regular jaws might be the best compromise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both, if you stop at a 12 hook yes that is all you need.   I also have a midge head. I rarely use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the big game jaws and stainless. for what you want, the big game would be perfect. I tied down to size 16 on them with no problem. size 4 to 5/0 is where these jaws shine. no chipping or shooting hooks like adkfan said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I have a Regal but not sure which jaws I have. How can you tell?

The resolution of this may not help but here ya go. I have regular, midge and stainless. Stainless gets most use. 
 

B536C9C3-0A06-4B07-B6FE-2AF7441B460B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark, take a look at the handle, whether it is straight or bent.  By far most have the standard head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old Medallion, made before they put the medallions on the head, and with regular jaws. I can use hooks up to about 3/0, depending on the wire diameter. Some larger hooks will fit, but again it depends. If I was looking for a vise only for bigger hooks, I would look at the Big Game or Monster jaws, and stay with the regular jaws too for smaller hooks. I've only tied down to about a 22, and the jaws shape could be finer for that, like the Midge jaws. If the Big game or Monster are wider, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be tying in sizes smaller than an 8, but if Regal says it will, then I would not question that. 

I've also never had any problems with hooks shooting across the room. As was said, there's a groove inside the jaws, which is where the hook should be positioned, any size hook, and if done otherwise, it's not in the jaws properly. For anyone to blame the vise for the lack of proper use, to me is unfounded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, adkfan said:

The resolution of this may not help but here ya go. I have regular, midge and stainless. Stainless gets most use. 
 

B536C9C3-0A06-4B07-B6FE-2AF7441B460B.jpeg

 

7 hours ago, robow7 said:

Mark, take a look at the handle, whether it is straight or bent.  By far most have the standard head.

Thanks guys, I have a regular head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I've also never had any problems with hooks shooting across the room. As was said, there's a groove inside the jaws, which is where the hook should be positioned, any size hook, and if done otherwise, it's not in the jaws properly. For anyone to blame the vise for the lack of proper use, to me is unfounded. 

I also have a old c clamp medallion without markings other than the company name and pat.# on bottom. It was gifted to me from a very good friend and commercial tier. I don't know how many thousands of flies he tied in it but I never heard him talk poorly about the vise and he would have if there was a problem. Left it to me in case my dyna king failed, it hasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

I have an old Medallion, made before they put the medallions on the head, and with regular jaws. I can use hooks up to about 3/0, depending on the wire diameter. Some larger hooks will fit, but again it depends. If I was looking for a vise only for bigger hooks, I would look at the Big Game or Monster jaws, and stay with the regular jaws too for smaller hooks. I've only tied down to about a 22, and the jaws shape could be finer for that, like the Midge jaws. If the Big game or Monster are wider, I'm not sure how comfortable it would be tying in sizes smaller than an 8, but if Regal says it will, then I would not question that. 

I've also never had any problems with hooks shooting across the room. As was said, there's a groove inside the jaws, which is where the hook should be positioned, any size hook, and if done otherwise, it's not in the jaws properly. For anyone to blame the vise for the lack of proper use, to me is unfounded. 

 

26 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I also have a old c clamp medallion without markings other than the company name and pat.# on bottom. It was gifted to me from a very good friend and commercial tier. I don't know how many thousands of flies he tied in it but I never heard him talk poorly about the vise and he would have if there was a problem. Left it to me in case my dyna king failed, it hasn't.

That's probably because your jaws are chipped or broken. 

Same here and my jaws are not chipped. I don't tie smaller than a 20 (but heading to an 18) and frequently tie on 3/0 freshwater jig hooks and 2/0 saltwater hooks on standard head. There's room for bigger but If I were doing big stuff the majority of the time I would go with the bigger head. I would have no problems believing Regals hook ranges. Their jaws are super strong and reliable. When your dealing with as much force that regal jaws and others generate an improperly placed hook can be shot from many vises as long the hook is made from round stock. Perhaps many vises, especially those in the mid price range, don't have the same level of jaw force so the problem is Regal vises have to much hook holding power for the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...