Fly Tying
Flatsflytying

First Fly Tying Night, what to do?

12 hours ago, mikechell said:

I'm not "social" enough to go to a "tie your own flies" event.  What's the point?  I can tie my own flies right here at home.

For a little food, drink, comradery, maybe pick up a new trick, learn about a new material or pattern, check out a different vise, or make a new friend. A little socializing once a month never killed anyone. I enjoyed it.

So do I. We tie and trade flies.

Since everyone that attends want to be there, we have a good time. During the summers, out TU chapter reserves one of the covered shelters at a riverside park so we can both tie and fish. We give casting and fishing lessons. Our TU chapter provides the burgers, beer and soft drinks.

5 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

out TU chapter reserve one of the covered shelters at a riverside park so we can both tie and fish

That's a great idea.  I'm going to bring that up at my FF club, if we're ever allowed to meet again.  

4 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Smith-Corona also made rifles during WWI. Had one but not a WWI vet.

BTW, I'm NOT THAT OLD! 😉

Kim

Also, another of Cortland's contribution to WW I came from Brockway Trucks as well!

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

BTW, I'm NOT THAT OLD! 😉

Kim

Also, another of Cortland's contribution to WW I came from Brockway Trucks as well!

I'm not either. M1903 and M1903A3 Springfields were surplus back in the early 60s. Cost was about $40.  Now they sell for $400! Stolen in 1970!

9 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

M1903A3 Springfields were surplus

I bought one in the early 70's from CMP still have it.

53 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I bought one in the early 70's from CMP still have it.

12 guns stolen, March 1970.

This might be the wrong section. But I was on Facebook and someone posted the tool box from Harbor Freight. You can get this for $73.00 with a coupon. Not all that cheap. But it has that WOW! factor going for it. Looks perfect for travel or sitting on a bench. Lots of guys make their own, But this is great for the ones who cant.  Wood Tool Chest w/ 8 Wood Tool Drawers (harborfreight.com)

94538_W3.jpg

May be an image of 1 person and indoor

30 minutes ago, bass master said:

Tool box from Harbor Freight

Bass Master, 

I have the tool box from HF.  I got it for exactly the purpose you discussed and while I like it esthetically, I don't currently use it for the following reasons;

It's too heavy for a travel box.  I originally intended to keep it in the back of my vehicle for on the road travel. Even there it was cumbersome.

The drawers are too thin to store thread in except for the top and bottom two (unlike the second picture)

The drop down is on an angle and too thin to use as a vise mount (again thinking working from the vehicle)

I found it difficult to store flies in the smaller drawers as well.

While I have plans to resurrect it when I set up a new tying area, for now it works only to store leaders and remains idle.

3 hours ago, Noahguide said:

Bass Master, 

I have the tool box from HF.  I got it for exactly the purpose you discussed and while I like it esthetically, I don't currently use it for the following reasons;

I<snip>

It is a copy of a well-known machinists tool box (made by Gerstner& Sons).  It's got to be reasonably heavily built to handle that job.  Genuine ones go for "big bucks" (like $300-400, I think--but I'm probably under estimating).  I guess it's not so bad based on the "crazy money" some mechanics spend for their tool chests  and Snap On tools...  When I was a kid, my dad assured me that "Craftsman" was the brand you wanted to have.  A lot has changed, but I still tend to think that way. : ) 

Here is my .02 cents...

What you should bring depends on the event. The first step is to do a bit of research on the event. Talk to others that have gone to the event, ask promoters or organizers what type of event and go from there. I regularly attend a tying night at a local pub. Most of the dudes show up and tie what they want and talk fishing. My first time going to this event I just hung out and bought a round of drinks, now I attend regularly.

Some of the events I have been to will be a person doing a demo on a particular fly. If that is the case reach out to that person and get a list of materials that you should bring to be able to tie the fly being demonstrated. I also like to get some different color options and maybe some sub materials to change things up a bit.

If the event is a show up and tie whatever you would like, more of a hang out style event, simply bring the material you want to tie. Whatever you are working on. At these events I tend to tie about 4-6 flies and drink about the same amount of beers, and tell twice as many stories. 

As far as tools go, I have worked on building a travel type kit with all the same tools I use at home. It has a more portable vice and a small portable tying light. I always have an extension cord and power strip as power tends to be a challenge. Lighting is a must as a lot of these places are pubs and they have dim lighting. I store them all in a smaller rubber made tote decorated with fly fishing stickers because why not.

Have fun and let us know how it went/goes.

CCW

I was in a group at our local VA. Sponsered by project Healing waters ......usually about 8 or so guys. Some experienced others not but looking to learn,all materials were supplied ,they even supplied regal travel vices,all tools  i took my own items i wasnt aware of them supplying everything,  it was fun and got to know some cool guys ....The gentlemen holding the session had it set up nice ,he had a featured fly and would kind of walk through the steps ,guys that never tyed would follow along .... then there were some of us that have been doing it for awhile and he would ask us to kind of hold a feature fly the following week.  Then covid restriction hit and that was the end of a nice group 

I've attended a few.  My salt club usually has a couple in the spring on a Saturday and I've attended a couple of others.  Always fun, often come away with a few new ideas or a pattern or two.  The salt water club also has a table at either the NJ Fly Tying or Fly Fishing show, sometimes both.  I always volunteer to tie at the table.  It's not quite a fly tying night but two or three of us are usually tying and we get to see what others are tying plus the interaction with the crowd.

I use a Craftsman tool box to carry my stuff.  What I usually do for the fly tying day is pick out a couple of patterns and just bring the hooks and materials for them.  For several years for the Fly Tying Symposium/Fly Fishing show I brought everything I thought I might need to tie flies, either fresh water or salt and usually had a least one additional bag with materials I couldn't get into the tool box.  The last couple of years I switched over to just bringing materials for three or four patterns, much simpler.