Fly Tying
Dallasblues

Human hair material???

Okay... hear me out on this one. I’m new here, new to tying, and have a cornucopia of dumb ideas and questions to ask. I’m also a barber by trade. Looking down at the floor after a day of cutting hair made me wonder... can human hair be used in fly tying? If so, I’m sitting on a gold mine of materials... or at least a few dollars worth.

This could just be the ridiculous ponderings of a middle aged mad man but it’s worth asking. Ha!

DB

if cat and dog and other furry creature hair can be used then go for it!

gold mine? if it was we'd be seeing packages for sale

5 minutes ago, flytire said:

if cat and dog and other furry creature hair can be used then go for it!

gold mine? if it was we'd be seeing packages for sale

Yeah. That was a bit of sarcasm that doesn’t translate to text very well. Ha ha!

Im thinking I might give it a try this weekend to see what happens. 

Ive used human hair before. Cousin gave me a locke to tie with one time years ago. She has long straight blone hair and I made a streamer with it. It caught a fish...though it was a little strange to tie.

To me it would would be weird, knowing that it is human hair. But plenty of people use kanekalon and other fake human hair for streamers, so... why not?

as far as commercializing it, I wonder if it is consistent enough across all heads or if you can get enough from one head. One of those weird hypotheticals to ponder.

32 minutes ago, Bimini15 said:

To me it would would be weird, knowing that it is human hair. But plenty of people use kanekalon and other fake human hair for streamers, so... why not?

as far as commercializing it, I wonder if it is consistent enough across all heads or if you can get enough from one head. One of those weird hypotheticals to ponder.

Oh I wouldn’t think of selling it really. Just got my own use. 

I do know some fly tyers out there that could use some human hair - and NOT for tying! 😉

Kim

16 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Well at least you could use hair coloring to dye it😇

Oh I get all colors in here on a busy Saturday. There’s lots of grey and white on the floor today. 😂

Just now, WWKimba said:

I do know some fly tyers out there that could use some human hair - and NOT for tying! 😉

Kim

🤣👩‍🦲

In this day and time, I wouldn't want to handle hair due to the Covid. Just being cautious. Yep! I have some hair from one of our dogs and son's black Lab. Works great.

6 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

🤣👩‍🦲

In this day and time, I wouldn't want to handle hair due to the Covid. Just being cautious. Yep! I have some hair from one of our dogs and son's black Lab. Works great.

You could always charge more for vaccinated hair!

Just now, WWKimba said:

You could always charge more for vaccinated hair!

Hard to determine if they had the second one. I had my first one but can't spare any hair. BTW, make friends with a pet groomer. Unlimited supply of free hair.

2 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Hard to determine if they had the second one. I had my first one but can't spare any hair. BTW, make friends with a pet groomer. Unlimited supply of free hair.

I did but stopped when they sold me some python hair!

Just now, WWKimba said:

I did but stopped when they sold me some python hair!

With all the cold weather, they probably grew fur. Caught a smallmouth bass in Ohio once. Had grown fur over the cold winter. Sold it to a wig maker.