Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skeet3t

Salmon fly colors?

35 minutes ago, denduke said:

6E00B37C-88EE-486C-925E-2823D1129AA2.thumb.jpeg.074e89e0f02fe17a42ea8bd3cff5f79c.jpegSaw this in TU magazine from Dave Whitlock   Sorry it’s sideways.  Might get a link to it if interested?  The egg fly looked interesting.  The DoubleEgg and DoubleEggSperm.

Anadromous

I like to float late in the season because more species of salmon have made it to the river. When I float, in late July and August, egg patterns and flesh flies are very hot. You'll catch everything in the river on them.

Well I tried my version of Whitlock’s egg flies.  And you know me I gotta radicalize them.  So I went with plastic beads and Solarez instead of the egg yarn.  Ain’t got the right hooks and a chore getting them around the bends...

8FE77249-B68A-4CFC-9FDC-C2D6F689A051.png

3B566CCC-33C3-4198-A603-D36FD170BC55.png

1 hour ago, denduke said:

Well I tried my version of Whitlock’s egg flies.  And you know me I gotta radicalize them.  So I went with plastic beads and Solarez instead of the egg yarn.  Ain’t got the right hooks and a chore getting them around the bends...

8FE77249-B68A-4CFC-9FDC-C2D6F689A051.png

3B566CCC-33C3-4198-A603-D36FD170BC55.png

Those will be great. White marabou simulates milt. It's time to move this threat. It now decidedly not classic Atlantic salmon fly stuff.

19 hours ago, denduke said:

Whatever...you da Ramrod👍

Hmmm....alevin, fry, parr, smolts??

In my experience, alevin, fry and smolt patterns work early for trout. I'm sure some salmon can be caught on them but generally, the yolk sack on alevin and the smolts are already gone when the salmon get to the river. The yolk sacks having been already absorbed, and the smolts have already made the run to the ocean. Fry are still in the river.

22 minutes ago, denduke said:

Thanks for your time👍

No worries mate, just killin' time till my next fishing trip.

Dave Whitlock has a book that is a compilation (and more) of his Trout magazines articles and artwork.  It is absolutely gorgeous, and an incredible bargain at $25.  His inscription and included bookmark are beautiful, too.

Thanks, Bob H

And since nothing exists in a vacuum... some of the earliest bonefish flies (right after WWII, Joe Brooks was one of the earliest to experiment with using flies to take them...) actually started out as salmon and/or steelhead flies.  One of my early mentors in tying was Harry Friedman,  a contemporary and fishing partner of Joe Brooks, was kind enough to teach me a little about that early era.  He was nearing the end of his years when I first became interested in tying for the salt... As years went by more and more folks began fishing them and the flies changed so that today you'd be hard pressed to find a single bonefish pattern with a salmon or steelhead ancestry.  I did catch my first bone on a fly that Harry showed me how to tie...  Nobody today would look at it twice... 

The way I read the regs in fly only places if you use a plastic bead it needs to be mounted to the hook not free or above a bare hook. Anywhere else nada.  Correct?

Ran across these.  Do you have any experience with floaters for salmon or would these be waist of time.   Looks like hot pink is main color?

255B890B-22CA-44C7-9702-82CF851DC04B.png

A bead can be pinned two inches above a fly or bare hook in fly-only waters. All those flies would kill on both silvers (coho) and pinks (humpies). Not so much the species.