Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Access - Hot tip

There are several mapping applications available that can make finding new fishing spots a breeze. OnX maps, Huntstand, Basemaps to name a few. People have been using google earth satellite images to find fishing locations for years but these apps show satellite, topographic, and hybrid layers with public/private land boundaries and owner information that may help with contacting for permission. Just wanted to put that out there if it means making fishing more accessible to anyone reading. Get out and explore some wild places! 

I have less experience with this one, but an app called Fishbrain allows users to upload catches and hosts a vast library of recorded species all over the country. It can be relatively easy to check and see what species are being caught in what waters and plan accordingly. Some people have relied on un-obscured fish observations through the program “inaturalist” for this purpose as well. 

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/90583-chasing-new-bass-species/

This trip back in May of 2020 was the result of reading literature to find out where to find Coosa bass, and studying OnX maps to access streams they inhabit that cross public ground. A state owned WMA gave us a safe place to park and make a 1.5 mile hike to a pristine little creek full of beautiful fish.  

Like many I also use Google Earth to get up close to spots I need to learn more about.  For us coastal types there's also a handy on line version of all of the Coast Guard's navigation charts..... Here's the one for the area of Everglades National Park that I spend most of my days in... 

"Flamingo to Shark River" 

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11433.shtml

For your area - or for any coastal area you're interested in - find out the chart number and simply substitute it for the one that's shown.. "11433"

At a glance on my desktop I have the charts on hand for every bit of the coastal and interior waters (mostly...) of the areas we fish - from Naples all the way across to the Keys and up the coast to Stuart in the north.... Very handy.

Awesome. I do not spend much time on coastal regions, but plan to do so more. That’s a fantastic resource. 

Hillmap.com is also quite useful. It does a split screen and allows several different map options for each side. When you scroll or position on one side, it mirrors the motions on the other. Really handy for cross referencing satellite and topo. 

Navigating in the dark with cellphone.....Hunting not fishing though.  Find remote sloughs in DeltaNationalForret north of Vicksburg and use google maps to find, get too -3/4 mi., and figure out what tree to setup at in the dark. (hand held GPS in pocket for backup...all those woods look the same)

DC57BBC5-8A83-46C9-A0E2-3DF53BA8C0D7.jpeg

DC1BF606-E0DE-4C79-95CA-7F63B15CF3AC.jpeg

2117727B-0030-4B01-A5DB-ED57BDE8E590.jpeg

B381EE0F-7403-4E56-BCEC-4DA7C655CCC9.png

Amazing how much stuff is out there, a lot of it free.

One note about sharing these locations and taking/uploading pictures... if it matters to you... consider that you may be giving away your honey holes.

5 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Hillmap.com is also quite useful. It does a split screen and allows several different map options for each side. When you scroll or position on one side, it mirrors the motions on the other. Really handy for cross referencing satellite and topo. 

That hillmap site is cool. Will come in handy.

I agree with being careful with screenshots. Some applications show coords where the cursor is constantly and some folks forget that sometimes.

I like the photos though, denduke. Looks like a sweet spot you found. Nothing too revealing there either.