Fly Tying

Hi Group,

Just added a Copper John video because this was a lot of fun to tie with some interesting little challenges. I am going to make this in a few more color patterns and sizes. It is a traditional pattern which I wanted to represent as best I can to respect the original creator.

The shopping list is added to the post and in the video.

You_tube_copper_john_thumbnai.jpg

copper_John_list.jpg

Edited by George Werbacher
Not a good place to learn

TroutKandy, my wife and I just finished re-watching the TV series "The Mentalist". I enjoyed the show so much years ago that when I entered one of the nymph swaps on the board I did the "Red John" in honor of Patrick Jane having just finally caught up with the Red John serial killer who had killed his wife and daughter. The only thing on yours (and the fish don't care) is that the pattern calls for biot and in the pic by George it properly shows the biot tied on each side and flaring out, not overlapped and facing down like most patterns.

10 hours ago, vicrider said:

TroutKandy, my wife and I just finished re-watching the TV series "The Mentalist". I enjoyed the show so much years ago that when I entered one of the nymph swaps on the board I did the "Red John" in honor of Patrick Jane having just finally caught up with the Red John serial killer who had killed his wife and daughter. The only thing on yours (and the fish don't care) is that the pattern calls for biot and in the pic by George it properly shows the biot tied on each side and flaring out, not overlapped and facing down like most patterns.

Thanks for the comments. I am a fan of the mentalist and watched the series with my wife. I liked the ending with the marriage in the cabin but had remorse the show was over. Thanks for your advice on the tail for the red john. I will have to try them overlapping and facing down on future videos (include a note on the video description). I also like the picts where they look like  pheasant feather was used for a tail.

I do love this pattern

2 hours ago, George Werbacher said:

I really like the red wire and will have to try multiple colors. Thanks for sharing the image

No problem George,

I enjoy fishing and tying with purple and green wire as well

13 hours ago, vicrider said:

I have never seen the mentalist and might have to check it out, I usually don't tie my patterns the original way with the biots because I find them much easier to tie and seem to work for me just as well!

50 minutes ago, TroutKandy said:

I have never seen the mentalist and might have to check it out, I usually don't tie my patterns the original way with the biots because I find them much easier to tie and seem to work for me just as well!

One of the best parts of tying original and traditional patterns is substituting materials and trying different things. To me it is all out of respect to the original designer and enjoying the creativity of tying.