Fly Tying
Rusty Shackleford

Partridge Quality/Grade?

I just received my very first Hungarian partridge today and with nothing to compare it to and not really knowing what to look for, I was wondering if y'all would call this a decent quality skin as far as you can tell from a photo? Maybe share a few things you look for when you walk into a shop to purchase a skin? 

156497000_784794062411994_7076329375869470320_n.jpg

looks to be an excellent high quality skin

when you bought it what grade was it?

use this one as a reference guide if you need to ever buy another one

Very nice, I'd say.  Beautiful ruddy/buff coloring on the back.  From whom did you get it?  I think I have Partridge envy.  

12 minutes ago, niveker said:

Very nice, I'd say.  Beautiful ruddy/buff coloring on the back.  From whom did you get it?  I think I have Partridge envy.  

It came from the Feather Emporium and no, I don't want to talk about it haha. It's my second order from him and both orders appear to be great quality but the customer service is very hit and miss. I don't feel comfortable endorsing him one way or the other, all I can say is I wouldn't order from him again if I wanted my stuff in a hurry but what I have gotten has been worth what I paid IMO. Thank you for your insight :)

Very nice.  I like that it includes the whole neck and back of head.  There are some very nice, smaller feathers there and I've gotten some from distributors like Nature Spirit  that are chopped off at the shoulders.

35 minutes ago, redietz said:

I like that it includes the whole neck and back of head.  There are some very nice, smaller feathers there and I've gotten some from distributors like Nature Spirit  that are chopped off at the shoulders.

+1

It looks good. If you're uncomfortable with FE though then maybe next time try Bears Den and specifically ask for Scott. He keeps some of his prime skins of various sorts off the racks in drawers by his desk station. He is very customer oriented, if he doesn't have it will get it. They are all nice folks in there. He has some beautiful Jungle Cock skins there usually ( this stands out to me because my wife drove there and bought me one for my birthday a couple years ago, God bless her she went home to be with the Lord now).