Fly Tying
Noahguide

Zebra Mussels in Aquarium Packs

I got this notice from NC DNR.  I don't have an aquarium, but thought I'd pass it along to those that might.

Invasive Mussel Found in Pet Store Products in North Carolina: How You Can Help!

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, along with wildlife agencies across the country, is urging pet and aquarium stores as well as aquarium owners to remove and safely dispose of any moss ball plant designed for aquariums, after invasive zebra mussels were discovered inside the products labeled as “Marimo Moss Ball Plant Grab & Go” and “Mini Mariom Moss Balls” 

In addition to being illegal to possess in North Carolina, zebra mussels clog pipelines used for water filtration, render beaches unusable, and damage boats. They also negatively impact aquatic ecosystems by harming native organisms.

Zebra mussels have been confirmed in moss balls sold at retailers in North Carolina, including PetSmart. If you have purchased moss balls within the past month, please follow the instructions below about how to properly destroy them and clean your aquariums. Known packaging reads 'Marimo Moss Ball Plant Grab & Go' and 'Mini Marimo Moss Balls', but there are likely more brands that contain the mussels. An overabundance of caution is suggested if you've purchases ANY moss balls recently. 

Any aquarium owner who has purchased moss balls should dispose of it immediately and carefully by:

• Placing them in a plastic bag and freezing them overnight; or,
  • Boiling them or soaking them overnight in a bleach solution (one cup bleach per gallon of water).

After freezing or boiling, moss balls should be bagged and disposed of in the trash. Living moss balls or untreated water should not be disposed of in any location where they can reach sewage systems or streams or lakes.

To treat your aquarium:

• Remove fish and apply the bleach solution and let it sit for at least one hour before disposing the water down the sink or toilet.
  • Disinfect filters, gravels and structure as described above and dispose of water down the sink or toilet.

Learn more by reading the Wildlife Commission's Frequently Asked Questions about Zebra Mussels flier.

Very few.  Most won't even see the warning, most likely.  It's not like you have to register your aquarium so they know to send you the warning.

I believe the main cause of invasive fish species is aquarium owners releasing fish they no longer want.

No one will if they know anything about aquariums. You can tell whoever at the DNR that wrote that has never been an aquarium keeper. The worst chemical you can use in an aquarium is bleach. That's the #1 thing any aquarium club will tell newbies to never use. And then saying to "disinfect filters/substrate/structures". ....Sure, if you want to kill off your beneficial bacteria colony so that your tank goes into a major cycle and kills off all your fish. 

As an aquarist myself all I can say after reading that is wow....just wow lol.

I received this, I'm a Mass resident but I do fish in Maine on occasion.

image.thumb.png.e1a3494d1c057bfc23ba58d5403eb029.png

Attention home aquarium owners:

moss ball and moss ball display at pet store

Left: a moss ball, Right: display of moss balls for sale at a pet store

Invasive zebra mussels have been found in "moss balls,” an aquarium plant product sold in Maine. Moss balls are commonly sold under trade names such as “Betta Buddy.” Zebra mussels, which so far have not become established in Maine, are one of the most destructive invasive species in North America.

If you recently purchased moss balls, immediately destroy them using one of these methods:

• Freeze - Place the moss ball into a sealable plastic bag and freeze for at least 24 hours.
  • Boil - Place the moss ball in boiling water for at least 1 full minute.
  • Bleach - Submerge the moss ball in chlorine bleach for 20 minutes.

After destroying the moss ball, DISPOSE of the moss ball and any of its packaging in a sealed plastic bag in the trash. Do not dump moss balls down drains or in waterways or gardens.

If moss balls were placed in your aquarium, DRAIN and clean the aquarium:

1.  Please remove fish and other living organisms and place them in another container, with water from a separate, uncontaminated water source.
  2. Aquatic plants may also harbor zebra mussels and should be destroyed along with the moss ball.
  3. Sterilize the aquarium water by adding 1 cup of bleach for each gallon of water. Sterilize filter, rocks, décor, and any other items in contact with the water.
  4. Let the water sit for 10 minutes and then dispose of the treated water down a household drain.

learnmore_original.jpg

Thank you for doing your part to keep this invasive species out of Maine's waterways. 

I received the same notice from New Jersey Fish & Wildlife a couple days ago. So I think the takeaway on this should be complying with the request to destroy and sanitize. Maybe the knowledgeable folks on aquarium care can submit a better procedure for doing so.

They have been in the great lakes for 30 years.It changed the eco system for sure . Lake Michigan is as clear as an aquarium and there are now weed beds in deep water off shore.The round goby eats the zebra mussels.The native fish have returned  tho.Small mouth bass eat gobies and are numerous and getting bigger all the time.There are actually a couple flyfishing guides fishing the south end of the lake.The lake is cleaner than in a 100 years or more.The salmon and steelhead have wiped out the alewife and now follow the giant schools of shad that replaced them.The mussels are now in the rivers,local lakes and ponds.They most likely are in the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.They are in the powerplant cooling lakes so they can survive hot water.As an angler they are like a miracle,they do get in the intakes but after 3 decades they are obviously being dealt with.They have even altered the climate a bit.Clear water warms more slowly than silty cloudy water so there is more of a lake effect when the wind comes off the lake.

jcozzz, interesting post. It has been shown that common carp eat zebra mussels but not nearly enough to make a difference.

The biggest problem with them IMO is exactly what jcozzz said... that they cause so much more weed growth because of the clear water letting the sun reach deeper. Been fishing the Au Sable my whole life and spots that are 6-8' deep that use to be really good spots to fish, are now weeds up to the surface every year by mid summer, it's like driving your boat on your yard in some spots now 😆

SD your in Michigan so you know what i am talking about.Supposedly the gobies eat them,another invader.I 'm beginning to think that all the liquid fertilizer they spray on the grass is getting airborne thru evaporation or something.A wildlife sanctuary that lets us fish for a yearly fee has sterile grass carp that kind of keep the weeds in check.For years they thought the treasured Lake Perch pop had crashed due to the invasive species.They just moved off shore to the weedbeds growing in 20+ feet of water.Know idea how the fishing has been as they closed the IL lakefront a year ago.