Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

I booked a fly-in float trip for this fall

It will be a ten day self guided, float in the Wood Lakes region north of Dillingham AK, my bud and I for four species of salmon, steelhead, trout, dollies and pike. Getting pretty excited about it.

That sounds epic!!!! I'm working my wife on a trip to your fine state not this summer, but the next. The 50 year old birthday celebration angle seems to be working so far. 

It's been too long since I've been in that neck of the woods. 9 years or something. It's so amazing. Cristal clear water and every species imaginable.

What you're doing is "the trip of a lifetime for most people."  Good luck on the "hat trick".

I always wondered where dollies 

61GDG6GV%2BvL._AC_SY355_.jpg

come from.  Never realized they were caught in Alaskan lakes!

Thanks everybody. I have been informed on another site that there are no steelhead in that river, just rainbows. So I'll have to plan another trip to another area for steelhead.

I'm excited. Here's a blog I wrote about a similar trip I did a few years ago. That's why I'm going back.

http://akflytyer.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-salmon-and-aniak-rivers-august-2013.html

Just now, mikechell said:

Pay more attention in school!

I want to be a piolet 😂😂

On 3/11/2021 at 9:42 PM, Mark Knapp said:

It will be a ten day self guided, float in the Wood Lakes region north of Dillingham AK, my bud and I for four species of salmon, steelhead, trout, dollies and pike. Getting pretty excited about it.

Mark, did my invitation get lost in the mail? HAhhahaha. Have a great time.

Mark, hope you don’t mind if you got time. What are some spoons, spinners, plugs, lures for salmon up the rivers?   I got non flyfishers in my group.   Thanks.  I can google it too but everything is better from the “horse’s mouth”

13 minutes ago, denduke said:

Mark, hope you don’t mind if you got time. What are some spoons, spinners, plugs, lures for salmon up the rivers?   I got non flyfishers in my group.   Thanks.  I can google it too but everything is better from the “horse’s mouth”

Vibraxs and Kodiak customs for spinners, and if you want a deadly salmon lure use the neon green and orange, size 5 vibrax. I use that lure all the time, and trust me it works well. For spoons, use Pixies. For other lures, I've heard that wiggle warts are good. And topwater doesn't work very well for river fishing for salmon. 

24 minutes ago, denduke said:

also mag lips work for rivers.