Fly Tying
Mike West

Found on Facebook...

Anybody know what this is called?

Or have a link on a how to?

I could probably pretty much figure out how to do this but I’m doing it for a friend with limited tying experience.

screen15.jpg

Thanks Mike for posting this,  I am the friend looking for some more info in this fly to try and start tying.  

From what I can see from the picture, it is tied the same way as a Merkin's crab, with an articulated shank.

Don't no what or why, but the patterns of the material tie in look that way.  EP Fiber, Wool, Rug Yarn?

I wonder if it's a brush of some sort wrapped on to the hook shank then trimmed to shape.  It does look like it's articulated though it's not clear.  With a brush, you could tie it as an extended body.  It's a neat looking fly.  In olive or black it would make a decent leech pattern.  Another possibility, tied on a long shank saltwater hook, might even pass for a baby flounder.  Is it tied on a jig hook.   If I toss another shot of vodka in my glass who knows what I'll see in it.

Looks like someone tried to tie an Ozark Streamer but the directions were sideways!

Kim

6 hours ago, tferg said:

I'd name it "Poodle"

There is already a fly with that name, made with stacked maribou:

Poodle

The shown reminds me of Shenk's White Minnow, but articulated.

I re-read the OP and can't figure out what the question is.  How to tie it? What it is? 

As far as tying, is this close enough? It needs some tweaking, but I think it is on the correct path. 

20210316_115038.jpg

20210316_115201.jpg

Mike,

I tied it like a Merkin Crab Just way bigger. I think it's done with EP fibers.  Mine with Poly line  Rather than x wrap it looked to be tied in on one side of the hook shaft. Brush, fan trim, repeat.

20210316_105053.jpg

20210316_110635.jpg

20210316_111419.jpg

20210316_111619.jpg

20210316_114520.jpg