Fly Tying
Big Will

Fly Boxes

I have gone strictly gone to small plano trays for my flys on the stream and keep all of my bulk in 3600 and 3700 plano trays. The compartments are deep and they don't crush the hackles or wings like my old plastic boxs with the ripple foam in side. Has any one else run into that problem? Even the metal boxes with the little spring loaded glass lided compartments crushed my bigger size 10 and 8 drys.

Just wondering

Big Will

I use evrything from vintage clip boxes to altoids tins. I take a whole whack of neatly organized flies to the fishin hole in neat containers and end up bringing everthing home soaked and stuck to my vest patch and hat.

I've used many different kinds of boxes over the years, from Wheatley to altoid tins, but, by far and away, my favorite and current boxes are all C&F. They keep your flies neat and separated, the wind doesn't blow them out like open compartment boxes, and although I haven't used the water proof ones yet, they will keep your flies dry even if you drop the box in the water. Then you just have to move fast to retrieve it before it floats away. javascript:emoticon(';)')

~Mark~

dunno.gif

Has anyone tried the C&F boxes with the little gizmos that you pre-thread those little midges and dry flies on? My eyes have been going south the last few years and this seems like a good idea!

Michael

I use and like the Bug Luggage boxes myself. Keeps all my flies "organized" and in place.

Mike

Here is something I learned here, to store flies at home, is empty v.c.r. boxes, foam lined. I have yet to use one on stream and probaly never will.

michael,

the c&f threader boxes are incredible. the other trick I finally figured out on my last day on the san juan is to take my reading glasses on the water for fly changes. the time and frustration involved were reduced significantly.

as for as boxes go, I use the gamut-from freebie six compartment plastic to $0.99 four compartment target pillboxes to cigarette package sized wheatley boxes to any number of c&f design boxes. I'm in the process of filling out the slotted foam inserts in their file folder system. I am a bit of a fool for fly boxes...odd thing is as many as I have, when I'm fishing I've usually got no more than two wee ones. do you have any idea how many midge pupae/larvae fit in a tiny target pillbox???

mgj

I have my trout stuff in a C&F, which I like. I prefer the foam boxes for the rest of my fleas, mainly because they are cheap.