flytire

Sponge Spiders

Sponge-Spider-Top-1080.jpg

Sponge-Spider-Bottom-1080.jpg

One-Dozen-White-1080.jpg

Sponge Spider

Hook – Standard dry fly style, size 8-12

Thread - White flat waxed nylon

Tail/Legs – Tail and legs are made from one piece of rubber legs about 4 inches long

Over Body – White 3mm thick foam strip, hook gape wide [see examples below]

Body – Flat holographic tinsel in chartreuse, red, blue, gold, silver, black etc

The fly above is tied in a simple generic white and chartreuse color scheme

Try using different colors of foam, rubber legs and tinsel

Examples

Bluegill-Spiders-1080.jpg

Black.jpg

Multi-color.jpg

Psychodelic.jpg

Woody.jpg

Outstanding! One could make a lot of spiders from one sheet of foam. FWIW, wife has the 40% app for Hobby Lobby and it's three miles away! I tend to shy away from long legs on poppers as I get frustrated at the little bluegill who grab the leg and never hook themselves. Thanks for the recipe. Will give it a try as I still have some foam left over from other things.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

panfish flies do not need to be difficult to tie 👍

but it's more fun if you complicate them.  Nice patterns.  I'm still stuck on craft foam and keep the colors to white, yellow, chartreuse  and fluorescent yellow.   Never thought of using the holographic tinsel for the body.  I use micro pearl or ice chenille for the body on mine.  The three most effective use a single piece of foam.  One has legs.  Two have a marabou tail.  The third is a mop piece with a dumbbell foam head.  As far as legs go, I use spinner bait skirt layers.  The front legs are shorter than the rear.  The length is usually just past the hook eye.  The rear legs are no longer than the marabou tail which is usually the length of the hook shank.  I just got my second vaccine shot.  I'm ready to go fishing.  If the weather stays warm,  the panfish will start hitting top water in a couple of weeks.