Fly Tying

Long time no see guys! I used to be pretty active 5 or so years ago but haven't posted in forever. Anyhow I'm heading to oahu in May and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into fishing down there. Locations, gear, flies, techniques, anything would be appreciated. 

It should be noted I plan to get a guide for at least a half day but would really like to do some fishing on my own as well. 

Apart from the flats opportunities for Bonefish, the best shore bound opportunities lie along the Makaha coast from Barber’s Point on the north side of Malakole Harbor north to Makaha.  Lots of shore access, both beach and rocky points.  Good opportunities for small trevally and other toothy reef fish.

There's one fresh water lake on Oahu, Lake Wahiawa (Lake Wilson).  It's been stocked with Peacock Bass, Largemouth Bass, Red Devil Cichlids and numerous other American and exotic species.

If you don't want to spend all your time salt water fishing (which I found unsatisfactory), then find a way to fish the lake.  I had a blast the day I fish that lake.

37 minutes ago, Brodrash said:

Awesome thanks for the tips Mike! Will a 7 weight suffice?

Absolutely unless you tie into a large Trevally.  The last time I fished the Makaha coast I used a 7 weight with either a full sink or sink tip line and deceivers.  short, stout leaders with 30# + bite tippets.  A lot of reef fish have choppers.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, mikechell said:

There's one fresh water lake on Oahu, Lake Wahiawa (Lake Wilson).  It's been stocked with Peacock Bass, Largemouth Bass, Red Devil Cichlids and numerous other American and exotic species.

If you don't want to spend all your time salt water fishing (which I found unsatisfactory), then find a way to fish the lake.  I had a blast the day I fish that lake.

I remember you posting about your time there now that you mention it. Peacocks  are definitely one to cross off my list

On 3/23/2021 at 6:21 PM, mikechell said:

Did you fish from a boat Mike? 

Wahiawa is an odd way to spell Wilson.😉

Fresh or salt seems to offer the best of both worlds. Never caught a peacock bass...it's on the list. Just need to find an excuse to go to south Florida.

6 hours ago, Brodrash said:

Did you fish from a boat Mike? 

Yes, I went onto a couple of websites and posted that I would be there through a weekend.  Got an answer from a guy who used to guide on the lake.  He didn't guide, and didn't go as often.  He was eager for the chance to fish with someone without expectations.  We had a great time.  Unfortunately, he isn't around any more, and I cannot remember the sites I went to.

I do know there are a lot of places that rent kayaks, if that's something you might be interested in.  

It's a long, narrow lake, and you don't really need a guide, I suspect there's a lot of fish in that lake, since it doesn't actually get much attention.