Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My most memorable ever.

21 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thanks bud. That noise is me stripping line through my guides 120 feet away. It's amazing that the Go-Pro picks it up.

I was just kidding about the growling part.

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

I was just kidding about the growling part.

I know you were, I just thought some people would be wondering what it was.

18 hours ago, mikechell said:

I don't have a picture, but everyone's seen a 5 pound bass.  This happened back in '87/'88.  It comes to mind once in a while, which none of my other catches do.

My unit had driven from "New River" ... part of Camp Lejeune ... to Fort Bragg for a week of field training.  We were on the way back home when the convoy got separated, and the rear column made a wrong turn.  I was driving a Humvee in the front half, and we had to pull over to wait for the rear to get back to us.

I'd taken a fishing rod (spinning/fly collapsible) with me, but never had a chance to use it while at Bragg.  BUT, where we stopped, we were parked right beside a stump and brush filled "pond".  There weren't many places to cast, but I found a little space and rigged the rod up for casting.  I sailed a 5" Original Rapala (My favorite search bait for new water) as far as I could into one of the few open areas I could reach.

First cast, 10 or so seconds after it hit the water, I twitched it and the water blew up under it.  By the time I got it to the bank, there were about 20 guys watching me.  I hoisted her out of the water to a round of applause and several guys asking for a chance to try the rod.  I put her back in the water, and was just getting ready to hand over the rod, when the rear column arrived and we had to leave.

I tried to find that body of water again, but never could.  Having driven through the area just following the truck in front of me, I wasn't even sure what road we were on.

Very cool.

I don't have a photo fish as it broke off as my grandson was getting ready to net it. It feinted and went into a weed bed. This was my first carp in the fly which was a DIY concoction of bead chain, white chenille, feathers, Crystal Flash, etc. My summer was interrupted by a health issue and emergency surgery. The photo shows the bent rod. The carp was about 4-5 lb. Not big but makes we want to try again.

BTW, Lake St. Clair was mentioned in a previous post. Fly fishing guru Dave Whitlock used to take time in the summer to sight fish for carp there. Like fishing the Keys or the Bahamas for bonefish. Dave calls them Golden Bones.

DSCN0015.JPG