Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

East Central Florida marsh 03/28, the crawlers were out.

Headed back into the marsh after being blown out last weekend due to weather. Wasn't expecting the best as I was going to hit dead low tide and a full moon the night before.

Went to my first deeper hole and was rewarded with a decent trout:

55164E53-AB04-48A8-A394-EC7B21A81F8F.JPEG.d9ee0e001d41dae37eb6f58ec04f4034.JPEG

Not much happening on the river side so I figured time to go hit the mud flats. 

IMG_5125.jpg.1d28ec5963226d4624d99620e6ff22b7.jpg

Too shallow to run the motor, but still had plenty of water to float and pole. The water temp had greatly improved from my last trip and the flats were holding at 76 degrees. The wind picked up pretty good with a chop on the water so the lee shorelines were the place to go. Not long after working down my first shoreline I see a tail snaking left to right as a mid-slot redfish was belly down in the mud and back out of the water. Put the popper out with a few feet of lead and the fish immediately spooked. Guess it was going to be one of those days.

IMG_5140.jpg.72a4076ae568ecdfb83a8b0da8300511.jpg

Kept working down the shoreline and found 6 more crawlers. Largest went 29". This fish was again working left to right, gave it a bit more lead and did not spook but ghosted in slightly deeper water. Hard to believe a 29" fish can disappear in inches. Couldn't spot it in the chocolate milk colored water but figured it was heading to a mangrove point. Took the chance and blind casted the popper onto the point and sure enough the red was there. Great hit and strong fight. Released for another day.

1282385974_DE3074E9-6450-4069-B4F0-12DD8DB3AE38(1).JPEG.59fd210e371aea4002087ecc6e31aac9.JPEG

Ended up going 2 for 6 on the crawling reds. On the water by 0700 and pulled the kayak out at noon. Not a bad way to spend a morning.

Craft fur tailed poppers are my go to for sight casting to these fish and produce some explosive strikes.

649CA736-F8D5-41F1-9D34-73D6DCCE8E1F.JPEG.eff115b7abaef7c204458e4e9ffbd56d.JPEG

Thanks for the story and photos. Nothing like watching a popper disappear in a swirl. I caught a redfish in Tampa Bay once. Delicious!

56 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Thanks for the story and photos. Nothing like watching a popper disappear in a swirl. I caught a redfish in Tampa Bay once. Delicious!

I brought one home for blackened redfish last week. Made some Zatarain's dirty rice, green beans, and Hawaiian sweet rolls to go with it. Finished it off with some key lime pie. Doesn't get much more Florida than that.

The new kayak allowing me to stand and pole easily it has really changed the game. 

Used to live in Louisiana and know all about dirty rice. Key Lime pie is tied for pumpkin pie for me. Seems like you are eating good. Saw a kayak in a tackle shop with a lever that, when pulled, would flare the back into two pontoons at an angle. First stand-up kayak I saw. Can't remember the name!