Fly Tying
Baron

Classic Flies

I've been tying and catching on my own flies for 8-10 months now. I like it, didn't think I would. My target species is Pickerel and panfish. As time passes I find my eyes wondering towards Classic Patterns. I've watched many video's and directions from guys like Dave McPhail, Don Bastian and some others which are from the great State of Maine. I have a reasonable amount of thread but not necessarily the kinds described. I can afford a little bit more here and there and am hoping to come away with more flies that are colorful and have a wow factor as well as catch fish. I'd like to fish more streamers than jigs and nymphs. 

How would you start in preparing to tie some of the classics. The first that I'd like to master is the Barnes Special and then move out from there. What would be your next step?

I wasn’t familiar with the Barnes Special, but I looked it up and like what I see, especially for Panfish. I live in the South, so I don’t know anything about Pickerel. As far as tying, I would try to get the right materials together. Especially the yellow hackle. One source that I have used in the past is Feather Emporium, but he seems to only fulfill orders on the weekend, so if you order on Monday, you may have to wait a few days. Be sure to look for the loose feathers that he sells just a few at the time. If you can’t find them, let me know. I will be glad to help. No need to buy a whole neck unless you want to tie lots and lots of flies in different sizes. Having some basic tools like a bobbin, hackle pliers, a vice and a whip finisher will make a big difference, if you don’t already own them. If you have other questions, I would be happy to help. 

Breambuster (BB)

Try flyanglersonline.com.  They have two fine sections that could help you 1) Under "Articles" - "Old Flies" - classic fly patterns with the story behind them - most have patterns and pictures of the fly as well and 2) "FOTW" (Flies Of The Week).  Also, look under the "Articles"  section - "Not Quite Entomology",  "Our Man in Canada", "Panfish", and "Warm Water"; and under the "Features"  section- "Al Campbell" and  "Lakes/Stillwaters".

Hope this helps.

Kim

1 hour ago, breambuster said:

I wasn’t familiar with the Barnes Special, but I looked it up and like what I see, especially for Panfish. I live in the South, so I don’t know anything about Pickerel. As far as tying, I would try to get the right materials together. Especially the yellow hackle. One source that I have used in the past is Feather Emporium, but he seems to only fulfill orders on the weekend, so if you order on Monday, you may have to wait a few days. Be sure to look for the loose feathers that he sells just a few at the time. If you can’t find them, let me know. I will be glad to help. No need to buy a whole neck unless you want to tie lots and lots of flies in different sizes. Having some basic tools like a bobbin, hackle pliers, a vice and a whip finisher will make a big difference, if you don’t already own them. If you have other questions, I would be happy to help. 

Breambuster (BB)

Caught some pretty big Pickerel in Reelfoot lake,i believe their range is well into the deep south.

Sandan I liked the one where you said that you were having trouble keeping the married wings together. I do feel that there are allot simpler Classics that I could learn and ones where I wouldn't be afraid to fish them. 

Breambuster that is what I'm usually after withe the exception that there are some nice Pickerel in the waters I panfish in. So I put time into finding flies that while catching panfish and the occasional Bass that Pickerel will chase them as well (I like to eat Pickerel, yum). The Barnes Special is in that category for sure. The thought of having lightweight streamers that are the same or very similar to those fished a long time ago also matches my choice in gear. I use old but re-newed medalist reels and hollow fiberglass W&M rods. 

I'll slowly but surely research all these sites and learn the terminology as I grow. 

Pickerel are everywhere, keep your head on a swivel. 

I will have to ask my fishing buddy about Pickerel. He knows the lake we fish a lot better than I do. We are usually chasing Crappie around docks and on brushpiles. We do most of our fishing between 12 and 20 feet deep. We also have white and yellow perch, 2 kinds of largemouth bass, stripers, white bass, hybrids, alligator gar and catfish. I recently caught a 7.9 lb striper on a 1/16 oz Jig and 4 lb test line. Needless to say, we had a FIGHT!

BB

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

Try flyanglersonline.com.  They have two fine sections that could help you 1) Under "Articles" - "Old Flies" - classic fly patterns with the story behind them - most have patterns and pictures of the fly as well and 2) "FOTW" (Flies Of The Week).  Also, look under the "Articles"  section - "Not Quite Entomology",  "Our Man in Canada", "Panfish", and "Warm Water"; and under the "Features"  section- "Al Campbell" and  "Lakes/Stillwaters".

Hope this helps.

Kim

Nice site with helpful info.Thanks for that. 

Two other nice reference sites that might help out are globalflyfisher.com and flytierspage.com.  These plus FAOL are my top 3 reference sites that I like to use.

Kim

Is Camillus NY where the famous Camillus Knives are from? 

Thanks for the links. I've discovered Globalflyfisher.....awesome. I come here because I get to rub shoulders so to speak with experienced Tyers. Although inspiring its easy to get lost on GFF.

4 hours ago, jcozzz said:

Caught some pretty big Pickerel in Reelfoot lake,i believe their range is well into the deep south.

I fished Reelfoot a lot when I was in college in NW Tennessee, never ran into any chain pickerel, a few gar now and then.  Still remember the locals with their coolers full of slab crappie and their cane poles leaning against the bait shop wall where we rented our boat.

Truly neat lake, Reelfoot.  If you've never been, you need to go.  Very cool boats specially built for the lake's cypress knees.

15 hours ago, Baron said:

The first that I'd like to master is the Barnes Special and then move out from there. What would be your next step?

get the book

61Bb74lekXL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg

16 hours ago, Baron said:

I've been tying and catching on my own flies for 8-10 months now. I like it, didn't think I would.

Uh, oh.  Now you've gone and done it.  There is no cure for the madness. 

Looking for to seeing some of your ties, and

15 hours ago, Sandan said:

Don't be afraid to use substitute materials

is great advice, especially in the beginning stages of the addiction. 

Philly, I'll be in the NE part of the state, Harogate. 

Niv, I'm a bit shy at this point to show my work. Privately Philly and a couple others are some of my happy critics. I've been having problems as all beginners do with limited supplies and poor proportions. I'm pretty sure the panfish don't care but other species are likely to care. 

Flytire, Just bought "Trout" by Ray Bergman.  Your book is my next purchase. So I finally looked it up and Carrie Stevens is a woman, not that it matters but I've seen and like allot of her work and never knew wether "Carrie" was a man or woman. In my family and in my neighborhood Cary, Carrie and Kim were largely mens names in the middle of the last century when I came along.

I don't have Hackle pliers and could use some advice....do I need a couple sizes, do I want the rotating type? Cant afford to go over-board and as I'm doing okay with my fingers so far I don't feel that I need to go too far.