Fly Tying
Baron

Classic Flies

Baron,

If I may ad some ideas to your upcoming adventures into this new tying stage.  A few flies I have found work well for pickerel, Mickey Finn does well, Deceiver tied on a longer shank hook because  pickerel tend to hit the middle/rear of bait fish then circle back to finish it, and the Clouser Minnow.  The Clouser for pan fish tied smallish on jig hooks are fantastic.  Yellow, Chartreuse, Orange, Red, depending on what colors they like in your area.

As for the Barnes Special and using hackle pilers to tie in the collar,  personally I would not use them for this application (I'm sure this may draw some response).  I find that until I get into dry fly tying I do not use hackle pliers.  Personally I would spend my money elsewhere.  Just my opinion.

Michael

Great advice. I'll focus elsewhere. I've tied a bunch of smallish Clouser styled minnows and hope to employ them soon.

I've also tied a fly styled after the Gartside soft hackle streamer in hopes of early Pickerel. Tied on #2/0

IMG_4575.thumb.jpeg.8300dafc825d787e9c085233dff37045.jpegIMG_4569.thumb.jpeg.504d497637f8d951552d7db570a95483.jpeg

You are off to a good start. Fish these, modify based on what you see on the water, and report back. There are many brilliant tiers (not me) on this forum. Post your flies and listen to their feedback. They will shorten your learning curve, but the fish are the ultimate decision makers. 

Baron,

Sharp looking flies you've made.  I like those.

If you need more Mallard Flanks,  give me a shout.  I duck hunt and usually have those hanging around.

Tight Lines

Michael

I've only flyfished for two years and also have only targeted Pickerel for the same time as they're a by product of my beloved Panfish excursions. It seems that, in the Pocono's anyway, that pickerel will hit anything white in the spring...early on. So I tied that soft hackle in white. the goal is to change out the Mariboo to seasonal colors throughout the year, ie Olive for summer and rust for fall. We'll see if this works. 

I am almost out of longish Mallard Flanks and I miss the days of my youth when we would pop several a year on the farm. One has to have priorities and I, for one, can no longer do it all.   

I will put more time into basic and popular streamers. below are a couple of my efforts in tying Clousers. Hope to try them soon.

IMG_3833.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, mikechell said:

Truly neat lake, Reelfoot.  If you've never been, you need to go.  Very cool boats specially built for the lake's cypress knees.

I would never bring my own boat to Reelfoot.All you do is hit stuff.We caught pickerel when bass fishing.You need a break from the crappies now and then.I know a couple guys from another forum that live near there.The asian carp got in and are messing things up.A very unique place with quite a history.

Wow, Shame about the carp, they're a mess. Ever fish Norris lake?

There are four species of what is termed Asian carp- black carp, bighead carp, silver carp (the ones that jump), grass carp. Which one is in Reelfoot Lake. BTW, cormorants are causing problems for the cypress trees.