Fly Tying

I received a call from a local fly shop and a customer would like to have a custom fly tied for him. He wants a size 18 wooly bugger!!

It got me thinking:

What is the smallest big fly that you have tied or seen?

What I mean is some flies/patterns are typically large in size such as clousers, half and halfs, large stoneflies, etc... have you ever tied or seen a large fly that was tied extra small and the pattern remains intact. What is it and is it successfull?

Can anybody tie a size 20 double humpy? Chernoble Ant? Etc...

~ Chip

QUOTE (Fish-N-Chip @ Apr 8 2005, 01:34 PM)
>>>SNIP<<< have you ever tied or seen a large fly that was tied extra small and the pattern remains intact. What is it and is it successfull?

~ Chip

I have a selection of clousers from 10 to 14 that I fish with quite often. Admittedly the size 10 isn't much of a stretch, but the size 14 often raises eyebrows. I tie the Foxee Red Clouser to a 14 for summer fishing where I want to imitate a juvenille crayfish.

I also have a few clousers tied on size 16 hooks using just a bit of flashabou for a wing. I use micro-size lead eyes. They sink very quickly and offer a bit of sparkle. Excellent choice for bluegills under summer, clear water conditions.

Joe C.

QUOTE (Fish-N-Chip @ Apr 8 2005, 01:34 PM)
I received a call from a local fly shop and a customer would like to have a custom fly tied for him. He wants a size 18 wooly bugger!!

I'd tie that fly with a peacock herl body and rabbit fur tail - maybe with a bead head. Sounds like a heck of an idea!

The Doc Spratley is typically tied on a #6 nymph hook. I tied some on #14's and used them on a couple of high mountain lakes in BC and caught some nice trout.

user posted image

QUOTE (duckydoty @ Apr 8 2005, 01:51 PM)
I've heard of a pig on a stick, but not a pig on a hook rolleyes.gif
Duckydoty

BIG and PIG thous word is big diferents, that pig fly is joke.......... hysterical.gif