Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

*chuckles* I'm in danger

If you have the skills, it is a great opportunity. An all-expenses college education valued at over $300,000 and a job when you graduate. 

OOOOf I just looked at the PT requirements for the AFA. 81 situps in a row (I once tried to do as many as I could and I stopped at 300 Because I was bored.). But the push ups tho. 62 push ups in a row. And the 1 mile run is required to be 6:29

6 minutes ago, TIER said:

And the 1 mile run is required to be 6:29

That's quite the requirement right there. If I'm not mistaken I think the normal average for someone in good shape and fairly young is around 9 minutes 😬

Just now, Steeldrifter said:

That's quite the requirement right there. If I'm not mistaken I think the normal average for someone in good shape and fairly young is around 9 minutes 😬

my freind who is only 1 year older than me can do 7:55. I did 9 minutes because i was running on a road and there was ice and traffic and I was trying not to die

Surely there are time limits on the sit ups and push ups. 81 sit ups and 62 push ups in two minutes would be significant. I recall 42 of each in two minutes being the minimum to pass in the army. When I retired at age 48 with one back surgery I was running 2 miles in 16:50. I was never considered a runner but I always wanted to finish first. Never did but not for lack of desire. The real runners were turning 6 to 7 minute miles for 2 miles which always amazed me. 6:29 for a single mile should not be that difficult for an 18 year old with a little practice and a lot of desire. 

4 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

If you have the skills, it is a great opportunity. An all-expenses college education valued at over $300,000 and a job when you graduate. 

Not the way the military is going these days. Been there, done that, didn't like it. My observance over the last 51 years, Job? Worked with a Marine veteran. He couldn't find a job as a machine gunner.

I believe the "job" referred to is 6 years in the military.

Marine PFT was 20 pull ups, 80 sit ups and a 3 mile run.  Perfect score on the run was 18 minutes.  Out of my 12 years in, I only missed the time 5 or 6 times (two PFT's a year).  Had two guys in my last unit who would finish in less than 16 minutes.  One of them would smoke a cigarette before and after the run.

Good luck with your choices, TIER.

34 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

If I had to run 3 miles as fast as I could the value of my rods would surely increase.

Value always goes up after an artist dies 😁

OMG i know right? I did a triatholon and after that I was COOKED

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

If I had to run 3 miles as fast as I could the value of my rods would surely increase.

Value always goes up after an artist dies 😁

Me too brother.

A very good friend of mine, the guy who taught me to hunt brown bears 37 years ago, was dared by his buddies to run a marathon. They were sitting around drinking beer when a spot about the marathon came on the news and he said something stupid like "I could do that, if I wanted to". Joe was not a health nut by any means and was not considered by most to be in any kind of good shape. He was, however, a very determined person and had finished a four year stint in the Marines a few years earlier (you know how cocky those guys can be).

The night before the marathon his "buddies" took him out for beer and brought him home snockered, hedging their' bets just a little, the stakes were high, a steak dinner. The morning of the race Joe showed up an hour late with a hangover, the other runners had already left. He got his numbered bib and started. By the time he reached the first check point he was about all-in, he figured it was about the half way mark. Someone handed him a Dixie cup of water and he asked "How far have I come?" "Five miles" was the answer.

Undaunted he went on. Just before the mid-way point, he saw his buddies along the side of the road, leaning on a VW Bug swilling beer. They waved him over and in further attempts to hedge their bet said "Have a beer" Joe had already passed some of the other, slower runners. Some were in wheel chairs, some were pushing strollers, and some were on prosthetics, they were all wearing disgusted looks on their faces as they passed Joe, leaning on the VW, with a runners bib on and a beer in his hand.

After he finished his beer Joe re-joined the race and finished. He wasn't near the front, not even close, but he wasn't last either, he'd been able to overtake some of the other marathoners (again), one lady stopped to change a diaper (on her baby),  a guy in a wheel chair was fixing a flat and a guy on crutches was changing his rubber nubbins. When he got to the finish line it was starting to get dark. That's saying something when you realize the race was in the spring, in the "Land of the Midnight Sun". He did win his steak dinner though, and that's all that matters.

22 hours ago, TIER said:

Uh oh

On a more serious note, you can do this James.

One of my youngest apprentices (knife making), that came to me when he was thirteen, 5 years ago, was a nerdy, 4.5 grade-point-average, skinny little kid. He was just awarded Alaska's first Marine Scholarship in 11 years, a $180,000.00 free ride to any Marine ROTC program of his choice. He had the academic criteria down but had to work for the physical part. Three years ago he started working out with weights. In the last year he started working on getting his pull-ups and running up to where it needed to be.

He's turned into quite a fine young man. His Parents say that my wife and I had something to do with that, expecting only excellence from him while he was around here, puntuallity and no corner-cutting. We are quite proud of him but we know it was his hard work that did it.

Here he is with his parents and the Marine guy.

Warner-L.jpg

It's there for you James, go get it.

Okay, I will try weights. But i need the running now. I am ranking pretty high in CAP and my current time running will not make the cut in PT