Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Deer Hair

My buddy gave me some hide of one of his deer last fall, which has been sitting in my freezer since.  Finally got around to processing it over the last few weeks.  The fly shop has some nicer stuff, but this'll do for now.  

IMG-20210410-080346.jpg

looks to be very usable hides 

if fly shop hides are better i'll take them off your hands 😄👍

40 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Once was enough for me.

You got that right.  Although, I may do just a mask next year, if I can get a head. Maybe more of the white chest hair, it has a nice texture and looks like a good candidate for dyeing. 

1 hour ago, flytire said:

i'll take them off your hands

PM me your address, I'll send you a square. Not tanned, though. 

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

what's wrong with those hides?

Nothing, really.  I like the variety in colors, and the chest hair seems to be more like bucktail, as in having less flair.   The store bought stuff just seems to be thicker/denser.  

Hair density would depend on the season. An online magazine showed a mangy deer with the idea that some folks would think it was not healthy. It was merely shedding its winter coat.

FWIW, our puppies are shedding more than the last few months.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:34 AM, skeet3t said:

Hair density would depend on the season.

Deer and elk hair grows from autumn into winter. So the shortest hair is from deer and elk harvested at the beginning of hunting season. This is known as "early season" hair and is better for flies like comparaduns and sparkle duns. As the hair gets longer and longer, you start to get hair that is better for flies like stimulators and hoppers.

Combine this with where the hair is found on the hide and you fan figure out what "cuts" of fur you want.

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/selecting-deer-hair

40272958942_1d1f582d4d_z.jpg

I have done several deer hides. People keep bringing them over. After I salt them and cut them up, I give most of it away, mostly to fly tying schools and new tiers.

SilverCreek, interesting drawing. I only tie 6-8 patterns so hair length for me is't a critical factor.

Silvercreek,

WOW, that is the best description I have seen yet on dear/elk hair from a hide.  Thank you for that.  

I like to use the #5 hocks for Elk Hair Caddis.  It doesn't flair anywhere near as much, so you don't have a bulky looking fly, but it floats like a cork in smaller sizes.

Michael  

Thank you very much SilverCreek for that drawing and the accompanying illustration (the only one I've ever seen...).. My normal deerhair (excluding deer tails...) has always been from Wapsi - belly hair for spun and clipped work needing very bright colors (dyed over white) and those lovely natural and dyed strips on tanned skin from them as well... 

For many years as a commercial tyer (saltwater) I did my best to avoid filling orders for spun and clipped (or razored) patterns since they're too time consuming and result in less money earned rather than more... Now that I'm no longer tying for shops and other guides - most of my efforts are for my guiding customers to make sure we have the flies we'll need year 'round - and yes, there are a few deer hair patterns for those needs.. 

Once again, thanks for a very un-expected lesson... - and of course - here's a photo to go with it...  The Razor cut Mullet... 

emap5Wm.jpg

On 4/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, SilverCreek said:

figure out what "cuts" of fur you want.

Excellent, thank you for that.