Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

5pc Travel spin rod

Very useful a little more blue and I could see Mike looking at on of those with all his traveling. What is the performance like on a five piece casting and flex ?

There's a lot to like about this rod. I love the wood reel seat, I really like how the cork turned out especially the darker butt, the green blank color, it's a spinning rod, the small aluminum tube and I want to try microwave guides. Nice job. 

On 4/14/2021 at 5:28 PM, cphubert said:

What is the performance like on a five piece casting and flex ?

Pretty much the same as with any normal 2pc rod. Years ago the more sections meant a stiffer/flatter feeling rod, but with the modern day technology multipiece rods feel pretty much the same as any others now.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, Poopdeck said:

and I want to try microwave guides.

If you ever get a chance to cast one that has them Greg make sure you try it out. I always thought the microwave system was justanother gimmick when it came out years ago, but after I cast one I was shocked. It really does work just as they claim. Much straighter path for the line (no coils going through the rod guides) so you get around 10% longer casts and better accuracy.

+1 to this

My wife and I had Steve put the microwave system on each of the spinning rods he built for us.  We have very strong and positive comments about both the rods and the system. 

What are microwave guides?  Is that the same as the "staggered guides"?  What is the advantage over regular guide placement?