Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris_in_Louisiana

Lefty's Deceiver

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share another SBS I put together a few weeks back.  This time for Lefty's Deceiver.

I've been tying quite a few of these in recent weeks in preparation for a bass & pike trip later this spring, but stuck with a chartreuse over white version for the tutorial as that's the version I keep stocked in my local streamer box here in Louisiana.

Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated.

Here's the link:

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/lefty-krehs-deceiver-step-by-step/

Chris

spacer.png

Nice tutorial.  The only difference between your version and Lefty's is that he just twists off a clump of feathers and lashes them on, rather than carefully matching them.  I wonder if that gives the fly a more erratic action?  I have always used your approach, though.  Good job.

21 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Nice tutorial.  The only difference between your version and Lefty's is that he just twists off a clump of feathers and lashes them on, rather than carefully matching them.  I wonder if that gives the fly a more erratic action?  I have always used your approach, though.  Good job.

Interesting, Darrell.  My only familiarity with the pattern as it directly pertains to Lefty comes from The Professional's Favorite Flies.  In that text, he discusses orienting the feathers so they either bend in or out to impart different actions.  Always assumed that implied he was taking time with his feather selection.  Appreciate it.

Chris

23 hours ago, DarrellP said:

The only difference between your version and Lefty's is that he just twists off a clump of feathers and lashes them on, rather than carefully matching them.  I wonder if that gives the fly a more erratic action?  

Kreh also likely tied a lot of (very) large Deceivers for stripers and salt species where a more casual approach to feather orientation might be perfectly reasonable, maybe even preferable.  On smaller ties, the random orientation might spin or end-up looking more like a craw or frog pattern and kill the minnow profile.  

I fish a lot of deceivers. I've tied them with the feathers twisted together, I've tied them with the feathers perfectly aligned with the curl in and the curl out. My preference is that it doesn't matter one little iota so I typically just lash them on with no concern for feather orientation. Okay maybe just a little concern but not really a concern. Being simple minded the pattern is a thing of beauty in that its simple, it requires minimal material, it's quick and it's super effective. If you want to align feathers have at it. If you don't, have at it as well. They will both fish equally as well. 

The only important part of the tie is to have the bucktail past the hook to keep the feathers from fouling. It's next to impossible not to accomplish this but something one should be mindful of. 

Nice fly and tutorial.