Fly Tying
mnesbit

Presentation 4000 vs Saltwater Traveler durability

Hello all,

I am interested in a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler for tying smallmouth and Pike flies. Should the aluminum parts hold up over the years or should I look at the stainless steel presentation 4000 to hold up better over time? Anyone who has experience with either I’d appreciate your insight.

You'll have no problems with the aluminum parts of the Saltwater Traveler.  Before retiring and closing my fly shop I was a Renzetti Heritage Dealer.  I own and tie on a variety of Renzetti Vises my oldest being a Presentation 3000 that I bought back in the late 80's. 

My second oldest is a regular series Traveler (with the aluminum parts) which I actually did use as a travel vise and it has been on a lot of trips - many of them to saltwater destinations.  (bought in pre-Saltwater Traveler days)

Both of these vises with a wipe of a cloth and a bit of buffing look darn near new. They'd look new if I hadn't managed to drip colored head-cement and scratched them up some.

I wouldn't worry a bit about durability. When customers faced with a similar decision would ask my advise on which one I'd say both will hold your hook without slipping. One is handsome, even pretty and a pleasure to look at. The other has a functional, utility look. Given that it's a question of do you want to spend an extra hundred dollars for a work of art instead of a utility tool.

For me the answer would be I'll spend the extra hundred for the pleasure of looking at my vise some 40+ years later and thinking - man that's still one good looking vise and a pleasure to tie on.

I bought a standard Traveler, used, in 1997, have tied thousands of flies on it and only had to replace the O-ring on the jaws. I don’t believe durability is an issue; it will outlive me.

Regards,
Scott

For what its worth, I used a Traveler for years as well and, like SBPatt, tied thousands of flies with it.  The O-Ring was the only part that I ever replaced.

That vise is now in the hands of a friend who got started tying about four years ago and is still going strong.

The only reason I replaced it is I want something that holds the hook a little more securely for spinning deer hair. I bought a DynaKing Barracuda and couldn't be happier with it. Best vise I ever owned.

My advise is spend the extra for a better quality vise if you can afford it and have the desire but have no worries about how well the Traveler will hold up.