Fly Tying
Gilly

Bobbin fixer upper

While I am waiting for an order of some ceramic bobbins, I thought, "what if I run a piece of wool saturated with extra fine polishing compound through the tube?". I did this and polished the inside to a mirror finish and now there are no more freyed threads to worry about. Try it, it works.

Following advice in a tying book which I shall not name, I dumbly tried cleaning the tube of one of my bobbins with piano wire and ceramic tips. The steel completely scoured the steel tube and ceramic ends. I then managed to fray every thread I put through it. There is a better way. You can buy floss threaders (for teeth) which consist of what appears to be heavy-ish blue mono thread with a loop at the end. Push that through a couple of times and you can clean out all the old wax build up. The thought of pushing steel wool through ceramic tubes is frightening. I hope it's very, very fine steel wool.

QUOTE (boba @ Apr 27 2005, 09:28 PM)
The thought of pushing steel wool through ceramic tubes is frightening. I hope it's very, very fine steel wool.

Knitting WOOL.........