Fly Tying
SBPatt

May Flies From the Vise

Snowshoe Hendrickson Emerger

This spectrumized alpaca dubbing sure creates a convincing color match when wet to the Hendricksons hatching in my neck of the woods. 

1581596688_SnowShoeHendricksonEmerger.jpg.016aa9b0237ce79f3601a6fb14adae6c.jpg

Materials:

Hook: Daiichi 1160 Klinkhammer size 12

Thread: Semperfli Nanosilk Copper

Tail: Bronze Mallard

Shuck: TroutHunter CNE dubbing

Abdomen: Michael Johnson's Fly Warrior Alpaca spectrumized dubbing (Delaware River Club)

Ribbing: Semperfli fine gold wire

Wing: Dark dun Snowshoe rabbit foot

Legs: Dun Whiting weby saddle

Thorax: Michale Johnson's Fly Warrior Alpaca spectrumized dubbing (Delaware River Club)

-Nathan

Spent the morning trying to recreate some of SBPatt 's lovely rough water flies.

I've got the rough part figured out.  Still trying to figure out the right amounts of hair, but I have some specific water in mind for these.  Hopefully they will work.

20210508_103510.jpg

20210508_085554.jpg

20210508_093938.jpg

20210508_095610.jpg

20210508_103204.jpg

5 hours ago, flytire said:

you know its not and i never said it was

but its in the article in the link

tie one up and post your photo

Just asking a question.  Unfortunately my camera cannot focus close enough to be useful.

Here are some pictures (copied from the Fly Anglers On-line site, "Lakes and Stillwaters" feature).  The first shows a Blond Stayner,

image.png.e827345fb51a16973a9e3cf40974d4fa.png

and here's what the author named as the Stayner Ducktail.   They are both Stayner's, just color variations of the same pattern.  The Blond variation uses a variegated (or mixed) yellow/dark olive chenille with a wood duck dyed mallard feather wing and the original used only dark olive chenille with an undyed mallard feather wing (per this article).  Also, there can be many other color variations just by modifying the color/color mix of the chenille and wing.  I do know that color variation can be apparent due to the camera and the lighting used when the picture is taken.  That was why I asked, that's all.

image.png.d5ea00bb4c30b9f4eb163a8fc0f725ec.png

To see the original article with the pictures - Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource. and just put "Stayner" in the search field.

Kim

I spun deer hair but never stacked it. I decided to learn how to stack deer hair. I think I'm gonna need another box of hooks. 

stack.jpg

Arrowhead-1080.jpg

Arrowhead

Hook - Standard 1XL wet fly hook
Thread - Black or Brown
Tail - 2 hen hackles, grizzly an brown tied in at the bend so their tips extend to about 1 shank length, do not clip
Body - Peacock herl
Palmer Hackle - The hackle from the tail, palmered to the hook eye

On 5/8/2021 at 7:45 AM, Noahguide said:

I've got the rough part figured out.  Still trying to figure out the right amounts of hair, but I have some specific water in mind for these.  Hopefully they will work.

20210508_103510.jpg

20210508_085554.jpg

20210508_093938.jpg

20210508_095610.jpg

20210508_103204.jpg

The last one reminds me of a hairy Gartside Sparrow.

Regards,
Scott,

DHB Hairwing Dun

51165176290_447e9be0aa_c.jpg

51164315813_c3cd61861e_c.jpg

51164856839_158acdcda6_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 4 #10
thread - Uni 6/0 brown 
tail - deer hair
rib - tying thread
body - deer hair 
hackle - grizzly 
wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for some inspiration guys.  Flytire - after all these years, it never dawned on me to try the old Adams colored hackles (brown and grizzly) for wooly worm and bugger style flies. Love the look of the peacock body with these palmered hackles on your Arrowhead example.

SBPatt - you got me going on the Michigan style deer hair bodies and wings. Someone else tied some beauties last month also.

It's duck season. No it's pike season.

This full size duckling is tied on an 11/0 Hook with deer belly hair and felt feet and bill. It only took me three hours to tie it but I'd love to catch a huge pike on it.

DSCF4869-X3.jpg

DSCF4873-X3.jpg