Fly Tying
SBPatt

May Flies From the Vise

Partridge Drake Spinner (Michigan body)

51165970561_875ebb7645_c.jpg

51165304957_6b214ef637_c.jpg

51167070710_bfeef3808b_c.jpg

51166751399_83fc397343_c.jpg

Would love to get to Silver Creek someday for the brown drakes.  The river in town used to have a decent hatch and some surprisingly nice fish would come up but that was over 30 years ago; nowadays there’s a few bugs but not many fish to speak of.

hook - WFC Model 4 #10
thread - Uni 6/0 brown 
tail - moose body
rib - tying thread
body - deer hair 
hackle - grizzly 
wing - partridge

Regards,
Scott

Chuck Caddis

I came across a woodchuck tail I had forgotten about, so tied up a few Chuck Caddis while waiting for my Woodchuck skin to fully dry

IMG-20210513-062255a.jpg

Hook: #12

Thread: Black

Body: Woodchuck tail underfur/Rust dyed hare's mask (the underfur from the tail is nice and wiry, combined with the long soft fur from the hare's cheek area makes a nice buggy dub)

Wing: Woodchuck tail fibers, from the base of the tail

Hackle: brown & grizzly.  

10 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

Purple Haze variant.

That's a good looking fly, good to see you posting again.  

3 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Here’s a link to lots of great Michigan dry fly patterns; some real classics.

Regards,
Scott

Awesome Link.

I found a site called Classicflytying.net. They are all gorgeous flies but don't appear to be fishing flies but rather wall hanging flies. Could someone explain if these flies with their fancy tails and Married wings are actually fished or just for art. Im talking about flies like the one below, for instance:

179583987_10226813852317401_7515813243784702039_n.jpg

I know if I were tying them, because of the time put in and some pricey materials, I wouldn't fish them.  If there is a Fly Tying Symposium in NJ this year.  The last one was in Parsippany in 2019.  Covid cancelled the 2020 one.  You should go to it.  There's a bunch of official tyers there who are happy to share their methods, including many who tie Salmon flies.  There's also tyers at the various club and organization tables who will share how they tie their flies.  Worth the trip and the price of admission.  Plus you could drain your bank account buying materials that are for sale.  Just remember folks who tie their flies in public, may have other bad habits.

Scott, I love your partridge spinner! I’m wondering could you to sbs or maybe a tutorial on tying hackle spent wings? It won’t be long here for brown drakes,  I was lucky enough to be on the S.B. Ausable a couple of years when there was awesome spinner fall. There were fish rising everywhere, and hundreds of drake spinners on the water and in the air.

thanks,  Mike.

44 minutes ago, partsman said:

I’m wondering could you to sbs or maybe a tutorial on tying hackle spent wings? ..

Mike,

Thanks. I’m currently birding in west-central Montana

51178288040_d3765f5eb0_c.jpg

Should get back to Whitefish this weekend; I’ll put something together. Davie McPhail has a real nice video on tying a fan wing Adams; that’s helped me out a lot.

Regards,
Scott

•  

Thanks Scott, I will be looking up Davies video on this subject. Enjoy the bird watching, and hopefully good weather.

Mike.