Fly Tying
DFoster

Snapping Turtle question

On 5/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, feathers5 said:

There used to be a bar in town that regularly served fresh turtle meat usually in a soup.

Pretty much every dinner in South Jersey sold snapper soup when I lived there.  I don't know if they still do.  I love the stuff.  It's usually served with a shot of sherry in it.

While in a kick boat I’ve had two huge ones come up and follow me.

One actually came up and bit my swim fin.

scary little animals if you asked me

20 hours ago, Mike West said:

While in a kick boat I’ve had two huge ones come up and follow me.

One actually came up and bit my swim fin.

scary little animals if you asked me

For sure, you don't want one to latch onto you. I put the capped rubber end of my wading staff near one and it grabbed it. I had to get my buddy to come and help me get it out of its mouth. They have powerful jaws. 

The only time I have had a negative experience with snapping turtles is when they are on land trying to get somewhere and I'm in the way.  They don't like that one bit and get aggressive if you get near.

I once, (only once) tried to help a smallish sized snapper who was crossing a busy road get to his desired destination.  I picked him up by the front of his shell and the back.  DANG!!!! is he's got a long neck!!!!!!  Dropped him immediately.  Little sucker was sporting a nasty 'tude so I got a stick and coached him to safety.  I won't be doing that very often.

Where I live, North Carolina, these guys look at Water Moccasins as food.  Years ago while building a bridge over a creek we would often see "Cooders" (as the locals called them) chasing a large Water Moccasin in the creek.  The things are fearless but if they are in the water I don't think you should be afraid necessarily, unless of course you are fishing and wading naked, but I would give them a wide berth if possible.

Interestingly shortly after I posted this topic I stopped seeing the turtles in that particular pool.  I don't know where they went for the summer.  In over a decade of fishing it often I've only seen 3 other anglers so I don't believe they ended up as soup.  

I only had one run-in with a snapping turtle while fly fishing.  I was fishing my local creek near a deep pool.  The water was clear and I noticed a large snapping turtle walking across the bottom toward me.  I figured it was on its way to somewhere else.  It just kept coming.  I thought about poking it with my wading stick, and realized that probably wasn't a good idea.  I kept backing up, and the snapper kept coming.  I got into shin deep water, and it stopped and turned around.  Not sure if it was being territorial or not.

The only other problem I had with them was back in college in NW Tennessee.  Being a poor student I tried to supplement my diet of cheap pork steaks and Kraft Macaroni and cheese with fish.  Several professors I knew had farms with ponds on them which I had permission to fish.  First time out I was having a good day with eight or so bream on the stringer when I noticed the fence I had the stringer on shaking and the stringer being pulled.  A snapping turtle was working it's way through my dinner.  I managed to save two of my fish.  I brought a small Styrofoam ice chest with me to throw the fish in after that. 

19 hours ago, Philly said:

I only had one run-in with a snapping turtle while fly fishing.  I was fishing my local creek near a deep pool.  The water was clear and I noticed a large snapping turtle walking across the bottom toward me.  I figured it was on its way to somewhere else.  It just kept coming.  I thought about poking it with my wading stick, and realized that probably wasn't a good idea.  I kept backing up, and the snapper kept coming.  I got into shin deep water, and it stopped and turned around.  Not sure if it was being territorial or not.

The only other problem I had with them was back in college in NW Tennessee.  Being a poor student I tried to supplement my diet of cheap pork steaks and Kraft Macaroni and cheese with fish.  Several professors I knew had farms with ponds on them which I had permission to fish.  First time out I was having a good day with eight or so bream on the stringer when I noticed the fence I had the stringer on shaking and the stringer being pulled.  A snapping turtle was working it's way through my dinner.  I managed to save two of my fish.  I brought a small Styrofoam ice chest with me to throw the fish in after that. 

I can't say these two have been aggressive towards me but knowing they could be anywhere underfoot is a little unnerving at times. 

Interesting thread. I'm more leery of two-legged critters on the latest chemical escape from reality.

16 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Interesting thread. I'm more leery of two-legged critters on the latest chemical escape from reality.

I can't argue with you about that-

I've honestly never worried about an encounter with a snapper. Until reading through this thread, Thanks DF. 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:34 AM, niveker said:

I've honestly never worried about an encounter with a snapper. Until reading through this thread, Thanks DF. 

Well if it makes you feel any better I still have all my toes. 😉