Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Bonsai / Garden

Well it is a bit later than normal this year getting the bonsai garden into shape because of the health issues I had for a few months this spring. But now that I'm pretty much back to normal I spent all day yesterday working on it and have it pretty much cleaned up for summer now.

lqICxPW.jpg

MOjlzVF.jpg

asYnoS2.jpg

VHAxmMs.jpg

O5f0JLn.jpg

7ljmJTd.jpg

6oYrHNu.jpg

5gbY8wK.jpg

Vm4I9iu.jpg

Gorgeous, again.  Love the trees.  Yard looks like a serene place to "get away" without actually leaving home.  

Also looks like the Peonies will be in bloom in time for Memorial Day!

Planted this boxwood in the ground about 5 years ago when it was just about 8" tall so that it would grow some before I started it into a bonsai tree. Dug it up yesterdaymorning and gave it it's first styling/wiring. Next step will be to just let it recover and grow for the next couple years before giving it some more work after it starts filling in the foliage pads.

e78FV3Y.jpg

ZN3JmgE.jpg

Nice! 

Once it's confirmed that I won't be travelling anymore, I might start some Bonsai husbandry again.

That'd be cool Mike. With the weather down there in FL you could have some great species of trees year round. If I lived down there I would have a huge collection of Bougainvillia bonsai!

😃  Here's to hoping.  I'll miss the travel, and the visits ... but in July I'll be 62.  Travelling is becoming more of a hassle than an adventure at this point.

Steve, that looks like a great retreat. Gardening is my wife's hobby so I let her do her thing. Attaching a lantana plant that she planted two years ago and had to cut back later that year.

Travelling is becoming more of a hassle than an adventure at this point.

Off topic here- Mike,  I know what you mean. Three years ago, I swore off interstates even if it takes extra time.

20191104_091809.jpg

Holy crap !!!  I can't believe I forgot about Lantana as Bonsai !!!   It's a "weed" here in Florida, and usually cut back because it grows so fast.  I looked it up once before, and there are some VERY good looking Lantana Bonsai.

DbnDeT-XkAE65Nl.jpg

Been working on this ficus bonsai this morning. Have been working with it for a few years now but did some major pruning/wiring and replant this morning.

kjgnGsK.jpg

AryymQv.jpg

E8OsOuu.jpg

mA7x4yK.jpg

Thanks Mike.  Here's another one of my bonsai trees I've been working on today. This one started out as a shrub from Lowes a few years ago but have been working it into a windswept style over the past few years. Kind of like a tree that is braced against the wind up high on a mountain in the high desert. Did some deadwood on the front branches to look like they have been constantly pounded by the wind. They have a yellow tint to them in the pics but that's from the sulfur to seal them from infection, it will turn white over time. Now to let it sit in the sun the foliage pads can start filling in over the next couple years.

Was nice to spend the whole day playing with bonsai trees. I leave for my trip Thursday morning so I finished up all the rod orders yesterday. I usually don't have this much free time so it was nice to sit out in the garden and work on trees for about 5-6 hrs today :)

hNJBnVT.jpg

ZVQfbOw.jpg