Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Face masks

No politics just curiosity. With the CDC proclaiming vaccinated people can forgo the wearing of a face mask I dropped my face mask like a hot potato. In fact I threw them away and I will never wear another face mask for the rest of my life.  I thought most people would be like me but I'm actually quite shocked at the number of people still wearing face masks. I'm shocked that I can go into a store with 25 others and I'm the only maskless person. Is this a sign that people who got vaccinated have no faith in the vaccine? Are people still worried about being assaulted and called out by face mask wearing zealots?  Has the entire country been so freaked out by COVID19 that they will live in fear the rest of their lives?  So how long do others plan on wearing face masks? I for one am done and I ain't looking back. 

7 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Has the entire country been so freaked out by COVID19 that they will live in fear the rest of their lives?

Pretty much that IMO. I think people will stop but I believe they pushed and pushed the fear so hard that people stopped thinking for themselves and accepted every aspect of what they were told and it will take them a lengthy amount of time to let it go. Just as with you, I stopped wearing one as well and usually there's only maybe a handful of others in stores not wearing one so far. There are still a few stores here that are saying they will still require masks. It is their right as a business to do that if they so choose, but by that same token it is also my right to choose where I want to spend my money so I no longer give my business to any local stores that are requiring the wearing of masks of everyone.

I may get haters for this, however....  I am not vaccinated and for a multitude of reasons that are legitimate to me.  That being said,  I am coming closer to understanding what the attributes and the pitfalls are to the vaccination and am coming closer getting it in the near future.  My wife is vaccinated because she is in the medical profession.  What I find curious is the medical field is saying that a person that has been vaccinated can still contract COVID19,  although their symptoms will be greatly reduced, however they still have the ability to spread this virus.  So my question is, "Why are we lifting the mask mandates?"

I do apologize for the controversy,

Michael

What I find curious is the medical field is saying that a person that has been vaccinated can still contract COVID19,  although their symptoms will be greatly reduced, however they still have the ability to spread this virus.  So my question is, "Why are we lifting the mask mandates?"

No controversy Michael so no worries there. While this "could" push the limits of our no politics rule, I think as long as everyone keeps to the topic and stays respectful it's something that we can talk about. If it does get out of hand then we'll have to end it, but long as its stays just an honest conversation then there's no problems.

I'd say the answer to that question, at least IMO, is because life is not without risk, and never has been. There's a risk of something bad happening every time we step out of the house. But in a free country we mitigate our risks for our own lives. So 18 months later since it all started, we know much more about what it is and who is at most risk, and staying away from human contact, not working and not doing things or living a normal life, and wearing masks for the rest of our lives, is simply not an option for something like this. Some people will choose to still wear them, or choose to stay away from other people. That's okay, that's their choice and I won't look down on them for it. They are doing what they feel is best for their lives. Other's will look at what the risks are, choose what's best for their lives and do that. That's what life in American is all about for me.

28 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Pretty much that IMO. I think people will stop but I believe they pushed and pushed the fear so hard that people stopped thinking for themselves and accepted every aspect of what they were told and it will take them a lengthy amount of time to let it go. Just as with you, I stopped wearing one as well and usually there's only maybe a handful of others in stores not wearing one so far. There are still a few stores here that are saying they will still require masks. It is their right as a business to do that if they so choose, but by that same token it is also my right to choose where I want to spend my money so I no longer give my business to any local stores that are requiring the wearing of masks of everyone.

Yep, if an employee asks me to wear a mask I will if they provide me one. If not I will happily leave with no anger or frustration. I enjoy my rights and the rights of others. 

10 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

I may get haters for this, however....  I am not vaccinated and for a multitude of reasons that are legitimate to me.  That being said,  I am coming closer to understanding what the attributes and the pitfalls are to the vaccination and am coming closer getting it in the near future.  My wife is vaccinated because she is in the medical profession.  What I find curious is the medical field is saying that a person that has been vaccinated can still contract COVID19,  although their symptoms will be greatly reduced, however they still have the ability to spread this virus.  So my question is, "Why are we lifting the mask mandates?"

I do apologize for the controversy,

Michael

No need to apologize as there is merely a different outlook and no controversy. the virus will always be able to spread and mutate, dare I say, just like the flu. I didn't get the vaccine to prolong these times any longer. I think it's time for the fear to stop and trust the thousands of professionals that answered the call that produced a vaccine.

i am 69 years old and my father is 94 years old and we have both been vaccinated with the required 2 doses of the moderna vaccine

as mentioned above vaccinated people can still get the virus

we are both not the perfect physical specimens and have other health problems to consider

we dont wear masks indoors when we are together but i will wear one indoors if i have been out in the "wild" from grocery shopping 😁

i choose to still wear a mask to be safe from contacting the virus and somehow passing it on to my father.  i still want him to live until he passes away naturally in his sleep rather than something i infected him with. wouldnt you feel the same way? if i can mitigate additional risks for a few more months of wearing a mask, it that bad?

i have to shop for both of us once a week at the local big box grocery store and occasionally at the hardware store. i did notice our local walmart removed the mask requirement from the doors and windows as i walked in

i do see people shopping without wearing masks and without a neon sign over their head stating they've been vaccinated. i just move out of their way and keep my distance

you cant tell me everybody is being truthful about being vaccinated because they're not wearing masks. lots of anti vaxxers out there

personally i don't know how long I'll keep wearing a mask in public. maybe when the scientists and experts says its okay

please be mindful of other peoples opinion or reasonings

Wife and I never wore masks unless specifically required to.  I have to wear one at work, but that comes off the second I step outside.  We will wear one to get into a restaurant ... but don't put it on to leave.  We never did wear one in Walmart or the grocery store.  People and employees look at us oddly, but we don't much care.  Rarely have we had anyone say anything.  They just glare and walk on.

We won't get vaccinated.  There's little proof that it actually does anything.  Maybe it lessens the effects when you get the virus, maybe it doesn't.  Since the percentage of people who've suffered serious effects is so low, it's hard to credit the vaccines with helping anyone who might not have suffered much without it.  Unlike most new drugs and such, there was no time for long term side effects to be studied.  So, these vaccines might turn out to be worse than the disease.  I don't believe that, since everything except the "active ingredient" in these vaccines is essentially the same as other vaccines.  But it's possible.  Thalidomide comes to mind when dealing with long term effects.

As has been stated, you can still get the virus, even after vaccination.  So it's going to get to everyone, eventually.  Wife and I are willing to take our chances that we're in the 99% of people who don't suffer severe consequences.  If we're in the 1% ... well, we've lived full lives to this point.  We're good to "go".

4 hours ago, flytire said:

i am 69 years old and my father is 94 years old and we have both been vaccinated with the required 2 doses of the moderna vaccine

as mentioned above vaccinated people can still get the virus

we are both not the perfect physical specimens and have other health problems to consider

we dont wear masks indoors when we are together but i will wear one indoors if i have been out in the "wild" from grocery shopping 😁

i choose to still wear a mask to be safe from contacting the virus and somehow passing it on to my father.  i still want him to live until he passes away naturally in his sleep rather than something i infected him with. wouldnt you feel the same way? if i can mitigate additional risks for a few more months of wearing a mask, it that bad?

i have to shop for both of us once a week at the local big box grocery store and occasionally at the hardware store. i did notice our local walmart removed the mask requirement from the doors and windows as i walked in

i do see people shopping without wearing masks and without a neon sign over their head stating they've been vaccinated. i just move out of their way and keep my distance

you cant tell me everybody is being truthful about being vaccinated because they're not wearing masks. lots of anti vaxxers out there

personally i don't know how long I'll keep wearing a mask in public. maybe when the scientists and experts says its okay

please be mindful of other peoples opinion or reasonings

No harm in wearing a mask if one chooses. Choice is good, wear it if you want and don't wear it if you don't. It was never about a cure it was all about slowing the curve. In other words keeping everybody from getting it all at the same time. In other words we are all going to get it at some point just not all at the same time. what I understand the vaccine does is make the effects of covid not so severe. I don't believe I'm in that 1% who should stay home. I believe I will get the sniffles. Since I am also vaccinated I'm hoping it will just be a slight case of the sniffles. For those in the high risk area it's suppose to do wonders at keeping them from dying from COVID19 and keep them out of the hospital and home with the sniffles. That's a plus in my book. 

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Wife and I never wore masks unless specifically required to.  I have to wear one at work, but that comes off the second I step outside.  We will wear one to get into a restaurant ... but don't put it on to leave.  We never did wear one in Walmart or the grocery store.  People and employees look at us oddly, but we don't much care.  Rarely have we had anyone say anything.  They just glare and walk on.

We won't get vaccinated.  There's little proof that it actually does anything.  Maybe it lessens the effects when you get the virus, maybe it doesn't.  Since the percentage of people who've suffered serious effects is so low, it's hard to credit the vaccines with helping anyone who might not have suffered much without it.  Unlike most new drugs and such, there was no time for long term side effects to be studied.  So, these vaccines might turn out to be worse than the disease.  I don't believe that, since everything except the "active ingredient" in these vaccines is essentially the same as other vaccines.  But it's possible.  Thalidomide comes to mind when dealing with long term effects.

As has been stated, you can still get the virus, even after vaccination.  So it's going to get to everyone, eventually.  Wife and I are willing to take our chances that we're in the 99% of people who don't suffer severe consequences.  If we're in the 1% ... well, we've lived full lives to this point.  We're good to "go".

Why otherwise young healthy people would get the vaccine for something like covid is beyond my comprehension. Why the entire nation is still afraid to go out without mask when the numbers and data are in,  COVID19 is no longer a mystery, and there's a vaccine, will make a great study in human behavior. 

We still wear a mask when entering a restaurant or business. We have to be careful as my wife watches a little girl who has health problems and is exceptionally high risk. She had two open heart surgeries in two years. We also have a granddaughter who has autoimmune problems. It's not so much for us as we are in a high risk category but not wanting to unknowingly getting it and spreading it. It is interesting that the Japanese have been doing the mask thing for years. If they have nothing more than a cold, they will wear a mask to keep from spreading it to others.

Story- Years ago, if you entered a bank with a mask, they arrested you. Now, if you enter a bank without a mask, they arrest you.

Fairbanks is, and has been completely mask free for some time (except if you want to go to Walmart). Out of town visitors that come into our store are told "Masks are optional" when they come in and sooner than you can say "Baby, smell my breath" the mask comes off and a smile goes on the face.

In just 5 months of last year (2020 from March through August), 4535 healthy "young" adults dies from Covid. I bet their families wish that a vaccine was available then.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/data-reveal-deadliness-covid-19-even-young-adults

The second reason that young people should consider vaccination is that while they may not die, they can pass Covid on to others who are more likely to die. So people that get vaccinated are protecting themselves and others.

My prediction is that Covid is not one time event. I predict that it will occur every year and the decision whether to be vaccinated or not will be an annual event. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so. Check back in one year.

You are completely dropping masks? I know I'm not. I am keeping my wind buff for Delta Junction weather while fishing. Ohhhhhhhh we are talking about masks for covid yah in delta no one cares. 

And I am observing a lot of talk about vaccines. For me, that's a big no. There's just no reason for me. Both of my parents are fully vaccinated, there is less then a 1 percent chance I will die, and all the people that I generally hang out with in Delta are my two 15 year old friends, and I have a 17 year old friend in Valdez.

And this is not a 1 year event. According to actual science, pandemics will happen every 100 years. In the 1720s it was the plague, in the 1820s it was chorea, in the 1920s it was the bubonic plague, and in 2020 as you all know it's COVID 19. 

Research the Spanish Flu of around 1918. Vaccines weren't in existence then. This affected those overseas during WWI. A lady in my church in KY recalled going by the RR station in Louisville and seeing stacks of caskets on the platform.

The Black Plague wiped out a significant % of the population, more than Covid. The History Channel had a good documentary on it a few years ago.

There are over 30 different pathogens that cause the "common cold".  Now there's one more called "COVID-19".  Just like other corona viruses, this one will be here forever, and will cause cold symptoms every year.  I just hope the nation doesn't panic every year.

5 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

4535 healthy "young" adults

Sounds like a big number, and it no doubt is for the families of those people.  But as a percentage of people in that age group that contracted the disease, it's just not a lethal "pandemic."  The diseases that TIER listed caused major population reductions.  We're actually fortunate those bottleneck events occurred.  Population levels are nearing critical, but would've passed critical decades ago if the bottlenecks hadn't happened.  It's a hard truth, but it's the truth.  COVID-19 isn't even denting the total global population.

The scary thing to me is that the vaccine was so rushed and given FDA approval under emergency protocols.  I can imagine 5 years from now seeing  TV commercials from one of the better known ambulance chasers - "if you have developed rectal bleeding after receiving the COVID vaccine call us, you may be entitled to a cash award"....