Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Face masks

I enjoy helping others as well. I've spent a lifetime doing just that. My issue is I can't get over the fact that wearing a piece of cotton over my face is not helping anyone. It is doing nothing. Some say every little bit helps. I say it does absolutely nothing when dealing with micro spit. So we have all been told wearing masks helps the person next to us while in reality we are doing nothing but spreading the virus to the person next to us just as if we were all Maskless

Its highly doubtful its doing nothing. Its reducing the amount of particles in the air thus reducing the amount of any pathogen that may be in those particles which reduces the chance someone may catch something. Our masked up workplace this past winter had very few people sick where in years past it spreads from Nov-March. Its obviously done some good.

1 hour ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

Its highly doubtful its doing nothing. Its reducing the amount of particles in the air thus reducing the amount of any pathogen that may be in those particles which reduces the chance someone may catch something. Our masked up workplace this past winter had very few people sick where in years past it spreads from Nov-March. Its obviously done some good.

You are absolutely right. Even a one layer mask reduces particles as shown by this video.

Upper left is no mask, upper right is one layer and lower right is a surgical mask

Wouldnt those big droplets being forced through cotton come out  as really super tiny little droplets much more airborne than the big droplets? Yes maybe less volumn by mass or weight but far more micro particulates travelling farther through the air. 

Pick your poison big droplets that don't travel far or lots of little droplets wafting all around.  I've always maintained, and the experts have always maintained,  that if you wash your hands frequently and don't ever touch your face with your hands you will prevent COVID19 99.9% of the time. It's also why the common cold and flu are down as well, not because of designer masks. 

Call me crazy but $5.00 for your life seems like a bargain to me. If I thought the COVID was going to bring me or anybody in my family down we would be wearing an N95 mask. I definately  would not be screaming for others to protect me by  wearing designer masks and I would not be supporting those who mandate ineffective measures under the guise of protectimg my life. That's just me though. 

The good news is with every passing day I'm seeing more and more people tossing the mask. It's a slow evolution but I'm hopeful it has passed. Just like there will always be cat ladies there will forever be a few people who will continue to drive alone wearing a mask and filthy latex gloves. 

Anybody who sneezes into the air, without covering their mouth/nose with a tissue or hand is being crude, anyway.  Sneezing into your mask would just be gross.

I can tell you, when I am at work and forced to wear my mask, when I have to sneeze, the mask comes off.  When I am without mask, I have time to cover my face with a tissue or paper towel.  When I have to remove my mask first, I don't always have time to do that and have often sneezed before I could get the paper towel to my face.

In that case, masks are more likely to promote the spread of diseases than not.

Locally, things are diminishing with fewer Covid cases reported each week. Our local paper treats the stats like the baseball stats.

My wife was in the doctor's office. A lady took off her mask, sneezed and then put her mask back on. I liken that to the lady I saw at the grocery store a few years ago- wiped her nose with her hand and then put that hand on the buggy handle.🤮

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday as we need to get ink for the computer printer.   We were in the vast minority wearing masks.

I was asked if I knew the CDC said you did not have to wear masks.  When I replied that was only for the vaccinated, I was told I did not know what I was talking about. 

Rick 

On 5/27/2021 at 9:26 AM, RickZieger said:

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday as we need to get ink for the computer printer.   We were in the vast minority wearing masks.

I was asked if I knew the CDC said you did not have to wear masks.  When I replied that was only for the vaccinated, I was told I did not know what I was talking about.

Rick 

All the more reason to protect yourself, especially indoors.

I also continue to mask up. Although the infection rate is going down, there are new infections every day in my county.

I just got back from the biggest knife show on earth, Atlanta Georgia. 11 thousand people in four days went through there. Four people were wearing masks. And, there was a breakfast buffet.

For all intents and purposes, the virus is over in peoples minds.

17 minutes ago, flytire said:

you counted all of them in 4 days?

count everyone's legs then divide by 2, easy-peasy.  

1 hour ago, flytire said:

you counted all of them in 4 days?

I was an exhibitor there, for 9 or ten years now. I was there the whole four days. Number of masks, I can count that on one hand. Number of attendees, that's easy too, just ask the administrators how many tickets were sold. The computers do all the counting.

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I just got back from the biggest knife show on earth, Atlanta Georgia. 11 thousand people in four days went through there. Four people were wearing masks. And, there was a breakfast buffet.

For all intents and purposes, the virus is over in peoples minds.

Sounds like a super spreader to me. You and the rest of big knife best go quarantine yourselfs for the next 14 days. 

In my neck of the woods mask wearers still outnumber the non maskers. Slowly people are losing their fears but I mean slowly. im still seeing people alone in their cars wearing their masks and I'm still seeing people getting totally freaked out by being in the company of those not wearing masks.

5 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Sounds like a super spreader to me. You and the rest of big knife best go quarantine yourselfs for the next 14 days. 

In my neck of the woods mask wearers still outnumber the non maskers. Slowly people are losing their fears but I mean slowly. im still seeing people alone in their cars wearing their masks and I'm still seeing people getting totally freaked out by being in the company of those not wearing masks.

I didn't catch it at first glance but I must assume your comment is dripping with sarcasm. I'll answer your comment with one equally as sarcastic and tell you that it's OK because we all just held our breaths while at the convention center.

I actually never was afraid of the virus, nor am I afraid of any of the vaccines. I've had mine ( Pfizer) so I figure I have a way less than one percent chance of suffering any ill effects. Those odds are quite acceptable to me. I have to assume, that if any one else was worried about the virus, they would not have attended.

I didn't really encounter any mask wearing at all until we got back to the airport. Even at the restaurants and diners we went to almost no one was wearing masks.

The funniest thing I ever saw was someone who went outside to smoke, was totally alone outside and only took down her mask in order to take a puff on the cigarette that was probably eventually going to kill her.