Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Face masks

23 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

We will know soon enough.

Here's a quick Covid story Silver- I'm a heart attack survivor and just getting the flu can be fatal to people with my condition so I get the flu shot every year .  When my wife and I both got the worst "flu" we ever had after Christmas 2019 I knew something was up.  That Christmas our daughter and family were at our home when she developed a fever.  She works in Boston's financial district and there are Chinese nationals in her building almost daily.   Covid was beginning to hit China hard at that time but we never even thought of it when she told us she wasn't feeling well.  At the time there wasn't a covid test available unless you were an important person say like Tom Hanks-   Months later we all tested positive for antibodies.  Thankfully after spending 5 days horizontal and mostly unconscious my wife and I fully recovered.   We have a large family and at this point all of us have had it.  I'm thankful our family was spared any serious effects from it when so many others were not. 

I'm hopeful Covid 19 will fade away like the 1918 flu never to be heard from again but if not I can live with an annual vaccine.  

I am in a high risk group so I get a flu shot every year plus a pneumonia shot as prescribed.

Doctor- I'm going to give you a shot.

Patient- Great! Pour yourself one while you're at it.

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

Here's a quick Covid story Silver- I'm a heart attack survivor and just getting the flu can be fatal to people with my condition so I get the flu shot every year .  When my wife and I both got the worst "flu" we ever had after Christmas 2019 I knew something was up.  That Christmas our daughter and family were at our home when she developed a fever.  She works in Boston's financial district and there are Chinese nationals in her building almost daily.   Covid was beginning to hit China hard at that time but we never even thought of it when she told us she wasn't feeling well.  At the time there wasn't a covid test available unless you were an important person say like Tom Hanks-   Months later we all tested positive for antibodies.  Thankfully after spending 5 days horizontal and mostly unconscious my wife and I fully recovered.   We have a large family and at this point all of us have had it.  I'm thankful our family was spared any serious effects from it when so many others were not. 

I'm hopeful Covid 19 will fade away like the 1918 flu never to be heard from again but if not I can live with an annual vaccine.  

I'm glad you all made it.

Do get the Covid vaccine even though you had Covid. Studies have shown that the vaccines benefit even those who have had Covid because the vaccines result in a greater immune response.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, SilverCreek said:

In just 5 months of last year (2020 from March through August), 4535 healthy "young" adults dies from Covid. I bet their families wish that a vaccine was available then.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/data-reveal-deadliness-covid-19-even-young-adults

The second reason that young people should consider vaccination is that while they may not die, they can pass Covid on to others who are more likely to die. So people that get vaccinated are protecting themselves and others.

My prediction is that Covid is not one time event. I predict that it will occur every year and the decision whether to be vaccinated or not will be an annual event. I hope I am wrong but I don't think so. Check back in one year.

Interesting read. Interesting that young adults are aged 25 to 44. I'm not sure what the population of 25 to 44 year olds is but I'm pretty sure  4535 doesn't move the meter one tick. The data I read shows more then double the  children age 0 to 17 died of the flu (477) in 2018/2019 flu season then of COVID19 (287) in 2020 and 2021. Perhaps they did not include those aged 18 to 24 as young adults because the study would be even less impactful from a purely numbers standpoint and it seems numbers was what they were reaching for. Just my suspicious nature I suppose. 

I agree COVID19 and shutdowns will be a yearly thing but I'm done with shots, masks and everything COVID. 

Those young people deaths were a 5 month total so for 12 months would be about 110,000 young people deaths. With newer drugs and the antiviral serums, that should be much lower next year.

I don't think there will be annual "shutdowns" if we get to about 70+ % vaccination level. I do think that there will be annual covid booster shots and either single or double shot initial vaccinations for those who never have been vaccinated.

My bad, right you are at about 10K. Still doesn't move the meter a tick. Any chance we could have been at the 70% immune rate already without all the interference of the shutdowns and mandates? I think so and I don't think we could have done it without all the ventilators, hospital ships, makeshift morgues and pandemic fear. And yes there will be booster shots every year, just like the flu and I will not get one just like I don't get the flu shot, yet. As I continue to go about life I am absolutely shocked at the level of fear I still witness on a Dailey basis. So yes there will be continued shutdowns, mandates, booster shots and shot papers as we are fed a constant barrage of over hyped and sensationalized  COVID19 updates. Collectively, as a society, we will demand and even beg government to protect us from the monster. Sad to think of. I hope I am way off and completely wrong. As I said, I have a suspicious nature. 

From The WSJ-

"The outbreak started in China, where it quickly engulfed the city of Wuhan before racing across the globe on commercial flights and ships, eventually killing more than 1 million people, over 100,000 of them in the U.S.  The novel virus triggered a state of emergency in New York City; caused so many deaths in Berlin that corpses were stored in subway tunnels; overwhelmed London’s hospitals; and in some areas of France left half of the workforce bedridden. Severely ill patients suffering from acute pneumonia were put on ventilators,..."

In reference to the 1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu.  Given the age of most of us on this forum, we went through it but I don't know it "impacted us" beyond what ever impact at the time.  I used this to try to give my kids (and theirs) perspective.  

Full article-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forgotten-pandemic-offers-contrast-to-todays-coronavirus-lockdowns-11587720625

22 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I'm glad you all made it.

Do get the Covid vaccine even though you had Covid. Studies have shown that the vaccines benefit even those who have had Covid because the vaccines result in a greater immune response.

Thank you- I plan to get vaccinated but if I'm being honest it's mostly because of the looming restrictions here in the peoples republic and not fear of the virus.  A lot of local commercial buildings are considering "restricting access" (some would say discriminate) of those without the proper "papers".   The restaurants and bars I play at on weekends can't force customers to produce a vaccine card yet but as a musician I am technically an employee.  Employees fall under a whole different set of rules.  

There will be some really fascinating constitutional cases heading to the SCOTUS in a few years over all of this.   

9 hours ago, Noahguide said:

From The WSJ-

"The outbreak started in China, where it quickly engulfed the city of Wuhan before racing across the globe on commercial flights and ships, eventually killing more than 1 million people, over 100,000 of them in the U.S.  The novel virus triggered a state of emergency in New York City; caused so many deaths in Berlin that corpses were stored in subway tunnels; overwhelmed London’s hospitals; and in some areas of France left half of the workforce bedridden. Severely ill patients suffering from acute pneumonia were put on ventilators,..."

In reference to the 1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu.  Given the age of most of us on this forum, we went through it but I don't know it "impacted us" beyond what ever impact at the time.  I used this to try to give my kids (and theirs) perspective.  

Full article-

https://www.wsj.com/articles/forgotten-pandemic-offers-contrast-to-todays-coronavirus-lockdowns-11587720625

I wanted to read it but the link what's me to sign up. 

Here's something I just can't wrap my head around. if I truely believed a deadly virus was sweeping the nation and if i truely believed death awaited me if I contracted this deadly virus I would not be comforted one bit by everybody being forced to wear a designer face mask that that does little to nothing. Nope, I would wear an N95 mask and not give a crap what others were wearing or not wearing. I would make sure I was protecting myself with the proper protective mask and not something that I though looked great with my glasses or the shape of my face. I find it curious how people wear ineffective masks and get angry at others for not wearing an ineffective mask when one could simply protect themselves with a cheap effective N95 mask without worrying about what the next guy was wearing. Again, thinking logically is a handicap of mine. Not a good pairing to my suspicious nature. 

11 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Here's something I just can't wrap my head around. if I truely believed a deadly virus was sweeping the nation and if i truely believed death awaited me if I contracted this deadly virus I would not be comforted one bit by everybody being forced to wear a designer face mask that that does little to nothing. Nope, I would wear an N95 mask and not give a crap what others were wearing or not wearing. I would make sure I was protecting myself with the proper protective mask and not something that I though looked great with my glasses or the shape of my face. I find it curious how people wear ineffective masks and get angry at others for not wearing an ineffective mask when one could simply protect themselves with a cheap effective N95 mask without worrying about what the next guy was wearing. Again, thinking logically is a handicap of mine. Not a good pairing to my suspicious nature. 

True NIOSH N95 masks are uncomfortable to wear for a protracted period. These masks have two rubber straps that go around your head and NOT around your ears. I have medical grade NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) N95 "particulate respirator" masks. Real NIOSH N95 masks are not "cheap". 

Most "N95" masks are the KN95 type that have ear straps. They are not as effective as the NIOSH = National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. They are generally less than $1/mask if you buy them in boxes of 25.

Triple layer cloth masks are pretty good but not as good as medical grade masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

On 5/22/2021 at 11:50 PM, Poopdeck said:

No politics just curiosity. 

I've never worn a real mask all pandemic, just homemade ones made from old t shirts/Hawaiian shirts which I still have to wear at the workplace. My workplace still makes us get temperatures taken and wear masks and I have zero problem with it, even though I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna).  I have also never kept one on when outside like fishing or even golfing as I just keep my distance. Inside confined buildings like grocery stores and work and whatever else I always make sure I have one on even though we do not need to if fully vaccinated. While the chances of asymptomatic spread are low I'll still do my part because I dunno who I'm going to run into and what their issues are or their families so I'll go that extra bit because I'm a good noodle. Once the vaccine rate locally goes way up then I'll stop. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I just click the X at the sign up prompt and the article shows up.  Check your PM

11 hours ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

I've never worn a real mask all pandemic, just homemade ones made from old t shirts/Hawaiian shirts which I still have to wear at the workplace. My workplace still makes us get temperatures taken and wear masks and I have zero problem with it, even though I'm fully vaccinated (Moderna).  I have also never kept one on when outside like fishing or even golfing as I just keep my distance. Inside confined buildings like grocery stores and work and whatever else I always make sure I have one on even though we do not need to if fully vaccinated. While the chances of asymptomatic spread are low I'll still do my part because I dunno who I'm going to run into and what their issues are or their families so I'll go that extra bit because I'm a good noodle. Once the vaccine rate locally goes way up then I'll stop. 

I enjoy helping others as well. I've spent a lifetime doing just that. My issue is I can't get over the fact that wearing a piece of cotton over my face is not helping anyone. It is doing nothing. Some say every little bit helps. I say it does absolutely nothing when dealing with micro spit. So we have all been told wearing masks helps the person next to us while in reality we are doing nothing but spreading the virus to the person next to us just as if we were all Maskless

12 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

True NIOSH N95 masks are uncomfortable to wear for a protracted period. These masks have two rubber straps that go around your head and NOT around your ears. I have medical grade NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) N95 "particulate respirator" masks. Real NIOSH N95 masks are not "cheap". 

Most "N95" masks are the KN95 type that have ear straps. They are not as effective as the NIOSH = National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. They are generally less than $1/mask if you buy them in boxes of 25.

Triple layer cloth masks are pretty good but not as good as medical grade masks.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

What does a true NIOSH N95 mask cost? 

4 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

What does a true NIOSH N95 mask cost? 

Our medical society offered them for about $5 each ($500 for 100 masks) during the middle of the pandemic when PPE as in short supply. These are real hospital grade masks and not the ones you see advertised on Amazon as "NIOSH N95" masks.

Here are current prices:

https://cov.care/n95-facemasks

https://horizonmedicalproducts.com/products/3m-aura-9205-5-pack