Fly Tying
hopperfisher

How to package gift flies?

Hi guys, back to the forum after some years at other pursuits. I have been invited to fish and take lessons with someone that I met on another forum and I want tie a few dozen flies as a token of appreciation. These will be fishing flies, not display flies...summer steelhead patterns sizes 4 and 6. What would be a cool, albeit cheap way to package these to give hand-to-hand (i.e. not packaged for shipping)? Thanks guys and gals!!

30 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I would put them in a nice but inexpensive (or expensive if you like) fly box

This

For large numbers (as in donations) I use corrugated cardboard and 3/16ths inch weather stripping to hook the flies into.  Edge the sheet of cardboard with strips of same and top with a sheet of cardboard to mail. 

Kim

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I would put them in a nice but inexpensive (or expensive if you like) fly box

Alright, I figure I should get kind of a nice fly box (or multiple boxes). This guy is essentially taking me out for a day's worth of fishing, casting instruction, water reading, fly selection, etc. for free. This would probably be anywhere from $500 to $1000 or more if he were a guide. I think I can pony up a bit of dough for his trouble. What kind of box or boxes do you guys suggest? 

6 hours ago, flytire said:

zip lock bags

zip.JPG

I'll be tying flies similar to these....I am typically a cheapskate (so zip locks are attractive) but maybe I should crawl out of my shell on this one...

5 hours ago, hopperfisher said:

Alright, I figure I should get kind of a nice fly box (or multiple boxes). This guy is essentially taking me out for a day's worth of fishing, casting instruction, water reading, fly selection, etc. for free. This would probably be anywhere from $500 to $1000 or more if he were a guide. I think I can pony up a bit of dough for his trouble. What kind of box or boxes do you guys suggest? 

I'll be tying flies similar to these....I am typically a cheapskate (so zip locks are attractive) but maybe I should crawl out of my shell on this one...

I've seen some real nice laser-engraved wooden ones.

Not arguing but I received a laser engraved wood fly box for Christmas. Hate it but I have to keep it. To bulky, to heavy and takes up way to much room. I'm not sure why wood boxes have a place in fly fishing other then being bought by none fly fisherman as gifts. It sits at my bench. If your set on this being a gift giving experience keep it simple and simply present the flies in a small inexpensive clear fly box which I do every Christmas. The bigger the box the more flies you will need to tie because it will look disproportionate to the box. 

Dont lose sight of the fact that it's the thought that counts. If you go over the top you could offend. I know I would not want any kind of gift  for going fishing with somebody and would feel weird about receiving one when not prepared to reciprocate. Personally I think paying for lunch would be perfect.

You may be doing this fella a favor as well. My two fishing partners for the last 30 years are both nearing the end of their fishing life. One I rarely go with the last few years because of physical disabilities. The other is losing his mind and our outings are getting a little two adventurous for me to handle alone. Point being, I will be looking for new people to fish with really soon. Perhaps this is the boat he is in.  

Although I don't own one, its hard to beat the classiness of an old fashioned fly wallet, IMHO.  You can go from inexpensive canvas to really expensive hand crafted leather, or anywhere in -between.   

21 hours ago, hopperfisher said:

Hi guys, back to the forum after some years at other pursuits. I have been invited to fish and take lessons with someone that I met on another forum and I want tie a few dozen flies as a token of appreciation. These will be fishing flies, not display flies...summer steelhead patterns sizes 4 and 6. What would be a cool, albeit cheap way to package these to give hand-to-hand (i.e. not packaged for shipping)? Thanks guys and gals!!

Make a DIY fly box like this.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-slit-foam-fly-boxes.515418/#post1055641

You can use a paper hole punch to make slots if you don't have pinking shears.

35593313261_f7409a9a8a_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Not arguing but I received a laser engraved wood fly box for Christmas. Hate it but I have to keep it. To bulky, to heavy and takes up way to much room. I'm not sure why wood boxes have a place in fly fishing other then being bought by none fly fisherman as gifts. It sits at my bench. If your set on this being a gift giving experience keep it simple and simply present the flies in a small inexpensive clear fly box which I do every Christmas. The bigger the box the more flies you will need to tie because it will look disproportionate to the box. 

Dont lose sight of the fact that it's the thought that counts. If you go over the top you could offend. I know I would not want any kind of gift  for going fishing with somebody and would feel weird about receiving one when not prepared to reciprocate. Personally I think paying for lunch would be perfect.

You may be doing this fella a favor as well. My two fishing partners for the last 30 years are both nearing the end of their fishing life. One I rarely go with the last few years because of physical disabilities. The other is losing his mind and our outings are getting a little two adventurous for me to handle alone. Point being, I will be looking for new people to fish with really soon. Perhaps this is the boat he is in.  

Thank you guys for putting this into perspective...Poopdeck, this is an angle I hadn't thought of, I forget that some have sensibilities in that direction...and I'm sorry to hear about your fishing buddies, glad to hear you had many good years with them...

I still have a couple of months to decide what to do but, like they always seem to, my choices have come down to cheap (plastic) or expensive (Wheatley).

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Although I don't own one, its hard to beat the classiness of an old fashioned fly wallet, IMHO.  You can go from inexpensive canvas to really expensive hand crafted leather, or anywhere in -between.   

Thanks for bring this to the front...being mostly a dry fly guy I have not even looked at fly wallets as an option because of the hackle crushing factor. I'm curious, how do wallet guys deal with wings and hackles getting deformed when the wallet is closed?

13 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Make a DIY fly box like this.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-slit-foam-fly-boxes.515418/#post1055641

You can use a paper hole punch to make slots if you don't have pinking shears.

35593313261_f7409a9a8a_z.jpg

THIS. Is a good idea! Adds a personal, but not overdone, touch....I'll be following this worm hole for sure!