Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iso

Bunny feet

One of the items I used to pick up in fly shops was snowshoe rabbits feet.  They were reasonably cheap and usuals are a go-to in my box.  Shops don't seem to carry them as much anymore.  As a result, I need to track down snowshoe rabbit's feet that are dyed orange or rust colored.  Any recommendations?  

Thanks for the links!  Like I said, I don't normally buy these online, so I didn't want to buy straight from a google search.  

Snow shoes and a 22 rifle  early morning after a fresh snow in March, when the snow is crusty and easy to walk on, and when all tracks are fresh.    Most of the rabbits feet sold as snow shoes are really Jack Rabbit,  which is good but not great 

Ouch, $10.00 per foot!   Add that to what they get for the tanned hide and that makes those snow shoes cash machines.  And no really bright colors. 

Now if you know a trapper in their range or can hunt there yourself...

Dying them is the real hassle.  It was always a good purchase in shops.  After the last year, I can understand shops waiting to fully restock.  I can't blame them...  but the march browns are going to hatch and some of us need a quick and easy tie!

FWIW, to those who may want to dye the feet themselves ..... the best dye I have found and used with the best success is Veniard's.

18 hours ago, Iso said:

Dying them is the real hassle. 

What issues do you run into when dying the feet?

22 hours ago, Rocco said:

I have not actually tried to dye snowshoe.  A couple years back, I needed gray/dun.  Before that it was olive.  It's probably been 5 years since I needed orange/rust.  I just don't use that much material.  I suppose I could go for the lifetime supply of each color and dye them myself...  Unfortunately, I get flashbacks of the time I brewed a bad batch of beer.  It was a chore to get rid of two and a half cases of beer that no one liked.  It was always the beer that I tried to give people after they had a couple.  I can just see myself trying to pawn off purple usuals during a green drake hatch:)          

Hardest part is getting them to sit still while dyeing their feet.🐇

I usually give them a glass of wine and a foot massage first.

4 hours ago, WWKimba said:

I usually give them a glass of wine and a foot massage first.

The moths or the rabbits?