Fly Tying
SalarMan

Graphite For This...Really?

Along with fly fishing and fly tying my other main interests are fine wine and cooking good food. Recently I received an email from the All-Clad cookware company about a new line of pots and pans from them. I was quite amazed when I read the details. Multiple layer pan construction is nothing new. I used a copper core All-Clad piece yesterday.

The new pans are as follows...outer layer stainless steel, next layer aluminum; inner layer stainless steel, next layer aluminum the layer between all of this is GRAPHITE...yes graphite. They claim it is better than the traditional copper for even heat and and heat transmission all while reducing the weight of the piece considerably.

Many of my rods, graphite, golf club shafts graphite, the braces I'm wearing to help with a leg issue are graphite and the uses for this material go on and on...now cookware. To repeat myself...just amazed me.

Interesting, yes.  A quick search shows patents for graphite core cookware going back as much as 20 years, most of them by All-Clad.  Although I'm the THE cook at home, all my pots and pans are either nice quality stainless steel with copper core bottoms or good old cast iron, which I find hard to beat.  

Of course, none of my meals would be considered gourmet, except when cooking over an open fire while camping.    

Hmmm...I didn't think to research back on the graphite core thing. I can only guess they've perfected it to the point to make and sell the product on a large scale. Like you we also use good old cast iron...the original non-stick pan as a friend of mine puts it. Nothing puts a good sear on a piece of meat like that kind of pan!! I'll add aluminum to the mix, but primarily the usual non-stick coating type.

Food and wine...can't be beat.

If cast iron is seasoned correctly, it is 99% non-stick. Some of our CI is over 100 years old. We haven't had a NS utensil in over 35 years.

Sign in gift shop- I cook with wine. Sometimes I put it in my food.

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

.I didn't think to research back

Your comment about using graphite as the core conductor got me to thinking why it hasn't been done before, so i did a search to see if there were any other companies were using it in the same way.  My search terms came up with the patents. 

25 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Some of our CI is over 100 years old.

I think when my parents are gone, the only thing us siblings are going to argue about is who gets which cast iron pots/pans.  My dad has some beauts.    

Most of our pots and pans are plastic or cardboard.  That's the best material for the microwave.  Graphite is an interesting material, with many great attributes.  It'll do until Carbon nanotube technology gets to adulthood.

22 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Along with fly fishing and fly tying my other main interests are fine wine and cooking good food.

I like you already! 

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

I like you already! 

Then feeling is mutual Dean.....

19 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Then feeling is mutual Dean.....

Mom's advise was to marry a woman who can cook...so I did and I have an extra 50lbs to prove it-  😋

One final note...Al-Clad cookware...with a couple of pieces being the exception...is made in the USA. Specifically my state of Pennsylvania!!