Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Solid state drive...I'm lovin' it.

my niece taught me how to do a "zoom" meeting. she works from home and meets fellow workers all the time

she also taught me how to set my iphone as a "hot spot" so i could connect my pc laptop to my iphone to have the "zoom" meeting. confused? 😵

I was hired by Hughes Aircraft during my summer breaks from college in the early to mid 1960s. I had to get a security clearance because I was working on a defense contract and I wrote programs for a "senior scientist." So I learned to program in both basic and Fortran which was the main scientific programming language at that time.

So was into PCs from the very beginning and decided what computers my radiology group would use at our homes and offices. Initially we used PCs but when Apple developed the first real mouse driven graphic interface, I switched my medical group over to Macs. The first MS windows on a PC was a joke. The intel 286 processor did not have the processing power to run a real graphic interface. The Intel 386 was much better,  but it was the 486 and then the 586 called the "Pentium" that made the PCs really functional. 

Meanwhile Apple was in the dumbs until Steve Jobs came back in mid 1997 and in late 1998, Apple introduced the iMac which had Motorola processor instead of Intel. Macs are now 15% of personal computer sales.

Although PCs now have a good graphic mouse driven interface, there are still advantages that Macs have. For me, a huge advantage is Mac's Time Machine backup and file retrieval system that is very easy to use. PCs have their own version but as is usual with PCs it is clunkier than Macs version.

Time machine is an automatic backup system that is on an external drive and it keeps a copy of the hard drive that in in your computer as well as copies of all files that you hve deleted and removed from your computer. So if you want to go back and retrieve a file, you can. Also you can use time machine when you buy a new computer and it will copy all your programs, files, and setting to you new computer.

PCs have their own version of a time machine, and if you have a PC and have not bought an external HD (they are relatively cheap), do so and set up an automatic backup system.

PC owners follow the directions below to set up backup on your PC

https://www.portableone.com/Tech-News/Microsoft-Windows-10-PCs-have-their-own-Apple-Time-Machine-feature

10 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I don't get the whole apple vs PC thing, never have understood how that gets going and people get so stuck in one camp or the other. I think people should just buy what fits their needs and wallet and be happy with it and not worry about other people. Maybe It's because I'm just not a "computer guy" but ehh no biggie. Also don't know why everything always has to turn into some debate online. All I did was say how much I liked the solid state drive in the new laptop I bought. Does that really warrant talking down about PC's or getting into some debate on them? Jeez I swear sometimes I think people just look for things to try to be negative about.

I have no reason to lie about computer problems. I simply have not had any real issues with my Pc's. Only time I had any issue was with an old laptop a friend gave me about 5 yrs ago, but that thing had issues from the start. And I have had to replace power supplies in desktops before, but that's it. My desktop Pc's I've never had viruses or malware or anything like that. To avoid update waiting times then I have mine set where it will have updates on hold, then when I go to shut the computer off for the night it will ask if I would like to update and power off. I click yes and that's it, no dealing with waiting for updates.

So with that said. I DO like my new Windows laptop, it's very fast, does what I need, and will be exactly what I need for a price that I was very happy to pay for it.

Sorry. No digs, no debate, no argument, no negativity intended. 

On 5/27/2021 at 6:16 AM, niveker said:

My son has always been the IT department in our house.  

Same here. I have a good defense system but somehow managed to pick up a malware virus one time and he had to kill that for me. Didn't harm the computer but highlighted words and you'd click on them and they'd go to a sales site. I have bad computer habits and and have too many things on my computer I maybe shouldn't have the auto password hooked to and maybe someday I'll do something about that. Right now I get warnings that 19 of my sites have same password. Oh well, makes it easy.

I'm a little late to this thread but wanted to add my two cents.  I have an older desktop and laptop PC's and both were getting slow.  I added a SSD in place of the HD in the desktop and upped the RAM from 8 to 12 gigs.  Wow!  Turned a Model T into a Corvette.  So I then switched from the HD to a SSD in the laptop but left ram at 8 gigs.  Still, really worth the extra $150 as it really improved the speed.

I agree with Sillver.  If I had it all to do over again I would go all Apple in place of PC..  My son tried to convince me but I wouldn't listen.  I got him an Apple when he got out of high school in 1991.  That little computer served him well through 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school.  And it still works.  He now uses the ipad pro for just about all his work and home stuff.

Apple is more expensive to get into but so much more hassle free than PC's.

Also, like a fool I let my broker talk me out of buying Apple stock.  He said it was just a commodity company.

i'm considering a new imac and i'm wondering about moving my files and applications from a pc to a mac.

easily done or just dont bother

i dont want to piss away $$$$ on a new computer if files cant be transferred

3 hours ago, flytire said:

i'm considering a new imac and i'm wondering about moving my files and applications from a pc to a mac.

easily done or just dont bother

i dont want to piss away $$$$ on a new computer if files cant be transferred

Use Migration Assistant:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

Using the Cloud or File Sharing:

https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/moving-windows-files-to-a-mac-without-using-migration-assistant/

Once you move your files to a Mac, buying a new Mac and moving files to your new Mac will be a simple matter of connecting the new Mac to the old Mac and using Migration Asst.

I strongly suggest buying a desktop hard drive and set it up as a Time Machine backup so you can recover files. The time machine backup can also be used to set up a new Mac or a laptop with all your files and programs.

Careful, the computer age is very harsh with the past...

Silver is talking only about data transfer (I think... yes, Silver?)... Your windows apps won't work on the Mac. (I'm nearly 100% certain) You'll need to buy apple versions of the windows apps, which may or may not exist.

You might be able to run an old windows operating system on your Mac, as a separate operating system, but that's a trick at the outer edges of my own computer know-how "atmosphere", so not sure at all, but maybe worth looking into at the "genius bar." 

43 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Careful, the computer age is very harsh with the past...

Silver is talking only about data transfer (I think... yes, Silver?)... Your windows apps won't work on the Mac. (I'm nearly 100% certain) You'll need to buy apple versions of the windows apps, which may or may not exist.

You might be able to run an old windows operating system on your Mac, as a separate operating system, but that's a trick at the outer edges of my own computer know-how "atmosphere", so not sure at all, but maybe worth looking into at the "genius bar." 

You are absolutely right. Although you can run an Imac with an Intel microprocessor in Windows Mode, there is no reason to do that UNLESS there is a Windows application that is not available in a Mac version. To do that you need to boot the mac into the windows mode and the mac will run in native windows.

The newer Macs that are going to have the apple designed processor will not be able to do that. If Apple does design the new Mac to also run Windows, it will be in simulation mode and may be buggy and may not be able to run all the windows applications.

To run MS office on a Mac, you will need to buy a mac version or "rent" and pay an annual fee to Microsoft.

Find a place that sells the actual Mac student version on a DVD/CD disc so that you actually have the physical copies of the programs. Then you can load them onto your Imac and if something happens and the program gets corrupted or you buy a Mac Laptop, you can load it onto that as well. 

It has been many years since I bought my MS Office Student and Teacher version. I got it at Walmart but I have not checked lately.

i do have an external hard drive where i store all on my photos, excel spreadsheets, .pdf files etc 

will that be combatable with a new mac?

28 minutes ago, flytire said:

i do have an external hard drive where i store all on my photos etc 

will that be combatable with a new mac?

It depends on how the drive was formatted. You probably will be able to read from the drive BUT you may not be able to write new data to the drive.

https://www.imore.com/how-use-pc-formatted-drive-mac

As is suggested in the link below, buy a drive, format it for the Mac and copy the photos to the new drive. Or if the new Imac has enough space on the Imac's hard drive, create a new folder on the Imac and copy the photos to that folder. Check to make sure the photos did copy over and are OK. Then use the Imac's Disk Utility program to reformat the HD for the mac. Then copy the photos back to the HD.

The Disk Utility program is in the Utility Folder in the macs Application Folder/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7414173

You should also make and emergency "Boot DVD or Flash Drive" that will allow you to boot the mac from the DVD or the the Flashdrive. I have made both. Copy the Disk Utility program onto the emergency boot DVD/flash drive. If your mac ever fails to boot up because the system folder gets corrupted, you will be able to boot using the emergency boot drive and run Disk Utility to try to repair the hard drive.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-recovery-drive-to-rescue-your-failing-mac

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/mac-recovery/os-x-recovery-disk.html