Fly Tying
caughtonlures*com

What do you do while tying

If I'm working on a long tying session I'll load up the CD deck (Right now that's Jack Johnson, The Yeah Yeah Yeah's, The String Cheese Incident, Dread Zeppelin and G Love & Special Sauce). That gives me roughly 5 hours of working tunes & when the music stops so do I (although I'll take 5 after 6-12 flies to stretch & regain my distance vision). For short sessions I usually don't bother with any tunes, just whip out a few go-to's for the day.

For creative influence, I leave my tying table a mess. Materials from different patterns mingle with each other and spawn new ideas, or I'll mess around with a new material. That's the norm. Right now I'm prepping for a class I'm teaching thursday night, and gathering materials for my tying sessions at the Expo in Idaho Falls this weekend, so things are more organized than usual. I don't know what I'll do once Stef & I get married & she makes me stay organized & clean. I'll probably end up tying nothing but thread midges.

well, i guess i consider tying "me time." first i'll check out FTF or a reference book for inspiration, put the kid to bed, distract the wife: " did you see the catalogue that came in today?" usually the t.v. is on across the room. some days, no matter what i try, the creativity just isn't there; other days i feel like i'm in the zone, and don't even realize the time i spend on this obsession.

QUOTE (caughtonlures*com @ Apr 11 2005, 04:35 PM)
I was thing about something today while at the bench. What gets you going in creative mode? For me it is listening to the hardcore rock of Eminem and Kid Rock. Since working for the cable company has brought the benefit of free cable to my detached fly tying room in the garage, I also am blessed with full cable benefits as well.

Do you watch television while tying? Listen to the radio, or do you just meditate in a pattern book at the bench?

Also, what are your favorite programs while tying or what type of music gets the creative juices flowing?

Just curious.

Nicholas

I like to listen to Pillar while doing anything (must be because it is a new CD)

When I tie it`s usually on weeknights, because on the weekends I`m out fishing.

The TV is always on while tying and I smoke one cig after another. I smoke like a broken oven.......... or something.

Whenever I have dip (SKOAL) available which is not often, because it`s not available here in Germany and I always have to find ways to get some sent to me by nice people in the States (hint hint) I don`t smoke at all while tying, I dip. But I only get maybe two rolls per year, so most of the time it`s smoking.

I have tried listening to music, but I just can`t restrain myself from whisteling along and you know what even the smallest breaze can do to most of your tying materials...

Dave, I always wanted to get into shortwave but never did, I listen to radio from all over the world on the net. With tying and my commuter equipment, how would I justify to my wife I NEED one more toy hysterical.gif

i always go on ftf before tying, usually being distracted for a good hour. then, after inspired, i listen to some pink floyd or led zeppelin, which i ifind very inspirational. but between wasting j_k.gif all my time on this site and stopping at my local gander mountain twice a week, i only get about a good 5 hours of tying in per week...lol kinda sad, maybe i need some add meds. drunk.gif

QUOTE (duckydoty @ Apr 13 2005, 04:34 PM)
I smoke and scratch my head alot biggrin.gif

Duckydoty

Doesn't that hurt? What kind of smoker do you have? blink.gif