Fly Tying
Bazzer69

Latest Law look-alike vise

Toothy thanks for the photos.  Based only on photos I’d go with the TRV.  If I were to purchase

one I would want some hands on before I made a choice.

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

Best thing I've seen on this subject yet!!!!!  My standard question...what is the largest hook you've tried on the TRV?

4/0

56 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

If you had to choose one over the other, which one would you choose?

Haha! Funny question! No idea actually! I enjoy tying on both of them. They both perform their tasks Faultlessly... I like the heft and jaws of the Talon and the fit and finish of the TRV.... Is that enough of a deflection for you?!?! I don't think you could go wrong choosing either vise. 

Best, 

Nathan

11 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Toothy thanks for the photos.  Based only on photos I’d go with the TRV.  If I were to purchase

You're welcome! The TRV is an excellent choice.  Based on the other thread perhaps the TRV has a new jaw assembly... I did not care for the original finish (Thick, and black) that it came with so I beautified mine by removing the black coating and then blued it with a rifle blueing chemical.  In my opinion it improved the appearance tremendously.  It did nothing to improve the function however, which was already flawless. 

On 5/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, Bazzer69 said:

I swear that the title said “look- alike vise” I guess spell auto correct strikes again. 
I actually have one of those look alike’s, a vise made by CAE in the uk but when I tried to find the website today I couldn’t find it, does anyone know if it’s gone belly up?

Cheers

Barry

I fixed the title for you Barry, It's one of my super-powers.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, Mark Knapp said:

No, the reason the price is so high is because the vise is not available. If he makes the vise available again, the price will go back down to a more competitive price. Now that more people are making vises with similar jaws, you would expect that his vise would have to be more competitively priced than it was when his was the only one. IMHO

I once sold a Viet Nam era Randall knife for $8,000.00 (at auction) when the original knife sold for $300.00 only because it was unobtainable.

Yeah I get that but you would think if he was to begin making them again he could command a high enough price to make it worth his time. 

21 hours ago, Moshup said:

Moshup I do know that HMH has had a booth at the Marlborough MA Fly Fishing show and there are several other vendors that have TRV's available.  It's an excellent place to try out almost any U.S. made vise.  The Talon being new and European my be more difficult to get a hold of.  I ordered my TRV straight from Jon at HMH and I can say I will never part with it.   I would love to try a Talon sometime (and any of the other LAW copies) for comparison.  The trouble is most if not all are made in Europe and the local vendors don't seem to have them available.

21 hours ago, Toothy said:

You're welcome! The TRV is an excellent choice.  Based on the other thread perhaps the TRV has a new jaw assembly... I did not care for the original finish (Thick, and black) that it came with so I beautified mine by removing the black coating and then blued it with a rifle blueing chemical.  In my opinion it improved the appearance tremendously.  It did nothing to improve the function however, which was already flawless. 

Nathan I'm just curious were you able to try out a Talon somewhere before you purchased it?  Your obviously a fan of "LAW" style vises as am I and I truly wish more of the U.S. manufactures would offer a version.  I love the HMH but it's always nice to have choices.  Also it looks like you changed your base?  I ordered the tall stem from HMH.  I'm more comfortable not looking down and or $20 plus shipping it was money well spent.  I also built the wood riser which widens the footprint and raises the vise another 1.5".

For you interested New Englanders,

The last time I was in Stone River Outfitters in Amherst they had a full slate of vises, including the TRV.

They had moved into new spaces when last I was there (Christmas 2019, before COVID).

They are at : 

1 NH-101A Unit 1, Amherst, NH 03031

(603) 472-3191

*No affiliation, just information

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Nathan I'm just curious were you able to try out a Talon somewhere before you purchased it?  Your obviously a fan of "LAW" style vises as am I and I truly wish more of the U.S. manufactures would offer a version.  I love the HMH but it's always nice to have choices.  Also it looks like you changed your base?  I ordered the tall stem from HMH.  I'm more comfortable not looking down and or $20 plus shipping it was money well spent.  I also built the wood riser which widens the footprint and raises the vise another 1.5".

I didn't have an opportunity to see it before buying it.  I know the guys at Fly Fish Food and based on their recommendation decided to purchase it. My Talon is numbered as #051... It's hard to imagine with that limited quantity and high cost there are very many on display anywhere in the world unfortunately. 

Regarding the base on the HMH; the base is a Renzetti Lunker/Streamer base, I like this base more than the bronze base that I purchased with the TRV. 

Regarding the length of the stem;  I found the stock stem too short as well.  Jon made up another one an inch taller for me. 

2 hours ago, Noahguide said:

For you interested New Englanders,

The last time I was in Stone River Outfitters in Amherst they had a full slate of vises, including the TRV.

They had moved into new spaces when last I was there (Christmas 2019, before COVID).

They are at : 

1 NH-101A Unit 1, Amherst, NH 03031

(603) 472-3191

*No affiliation, just information

Stone River is a fantastic shop. I found the staff to be exceptional and I ended up buying a Fish Pond mini pack from them. I try to stop in anytime I’m in New Hampshire.

@DFoster unless gifted to me I’m not in the market for another vise but I do love looking at fine

pieces of work.  I have a Dyna King Ultimate that I’m very happy with though my eyes do stray 

when I see the sexy curves of a J vise.

I'm still on the fence regarding this because I don't want to be disappointed again. That being said, I have the feeling I will pull the trigger before this week is over...much to my wife's chagrin...HA HA HA 😁

3 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

I have the feeling I will pull the trigger before this week is over...much to my wife's chagrin...HA HA HA 😁

Funny how you can feel these things creeping up on you huh?!

8 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Funny how you can feel these things creeping up on you huh?!

Oh you have no Idea...but then again it sounds like maybe you do - LOL

44 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

Oh you have no Idea...but then again it sounds like maybe you do - LOL

😂 All too well!