Fly Tying
bass master

Fly casting issues

I am still a novice at tying and fly casting. But wont stop. But my issue is I have always tossed an 8 wt rod, reel and weight forward line.  Usually target bass or saltwater fish. I'm OK with a larger fly. But  with a smaller lighter fly. I suck. And if there is a breeze forget it! I usually fish open water. Shore, Basin or off a dock. Should I wrap some wire around the hook,  Use some split shot. Thanks. 

How long is the leader and tippet? How heavy are they? Sizde fly you are trhing to cast? Try to cast sidearm to keep the line, leader and tippet out of the wind. My first fly rod was a South Bend, 8 ft., D weight which is equivalent to a 7 weight. One has to adapt as I learned to cast big bass poppers and small flies I got at Big K at 10 for a buck. Careful- if a split shot hits the blank, it could cause a weak spot that could eventually break as it flexes over time. Like repeatedly bending a piece of steel wire.

Now you understand why they make different weight rods. An 8 wt was never intended to cast small trout flies especially if outfitted with line and leader used to cast heavier or weighted flies. But, never mind, I have a hard time casting slumpbusters with my 2 wt too.

You should be able to cast reasonably well with just a tapered leader and no fly at all. Diagnosing any issues is pretty difficult over the internet, unless you have video.

Jaydud. That's what I was thinking. The line is what does the work. Just might need a lighter set up. 

2 hours ago, shoebop said:

Now you understand why they make different weight rods. An 8 wt was never intended to cast small trout flies especially if outfitted with line and leader used to cast heavier or weighted flies. But, never mind, I have a hard time casting slumpbusters with my 2 wt too.

Instead of casting, the trick is to lob the fly. I only had one rod. See my previous post. This was with level fly line and 10 lb. mono for a leader. It was years later that I learned of tapered leaders and tippet.

A properly "balanced" outfit with the right wt fly rod and line for the "fly" you are casting should be able to cast the fly 30 feet.

I suspect you are NOT realy casting that far and therefore, the shorter casts/lobs are NOT loading the rod. Hence you are not aerialing the fly and "casting" it but rather lobbing or flipping the larger fly. 

When you know how to properly cast, an 8 wt. rod should easily cast a lighter fly. BUT you cannot lob a lighter fly because it does not have the mass to carry the line behind it.

Lobbing is NOT casting. With lobbing, there is really no backcast to load the rod. With lobbing the heavy fly pulls the leader and line behind it. With casting, the line and leader pull the fly.

You need to go back to basics and learn to cast.

Congrats on your persistence. I agree with silvercreek.  Its harder to cast big flies and easier to cast small flies for beginners and experienced fly casters alike. Casting becomes more difficult as the flies gain in weight or fluffiness so the fact that your having a problem with small flies means you are doing something very wrong, fundamentally speaking.  Remember it's the line that carries the fly out not the fly carrying the line out. Feeling a need for more weight to cast a smaller fly is using the weight/fly to carry out the line, otherwise known as spin fishing or lobbing. Revisit your cast starting at the very beginning. 

Yes, the weight of the line carries the fly. Other types of tackle require the weight of the bait or lure to cast. Lobbing, as I learned, does require a certain amount of a back cast with a real slow motion. Otherwise, the fly goes nowhere. Rhythm and timing play a big role in fly casting.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, bass master said:

I am still a novice at tying and fly casting. But wont stop. But my issue is I have always tossed an 8 wt rod, reel and weight forward line.  Usually target bass or saltwater fish. I'm OK with a larger fly. But  with a smaller lighter fly. I suck. And if there is a breeze forget it! I usually fish open water. Shore, Basin or off a dock. Should I wrap some wire around the hook,  Use some split shot. Thanks. 

The more  practice the more fun with both. When you are looking for casting help, be sure to check the Fly Fishing section, that is where you will find those answers! The main thing, ENJOY!