Fly Tying
SBPatt

June Flies From the Vise

On 6/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Baron said:

Okay I may as well go ahead and ask a burning question that I've been holding onto for weeks. How big of a Caddis fly will trout hit? The bigger they are the more Warmwater species will hit them... So If I have big ones leftover from this summers trip to ID so much the better for warmwater species at home. Will 12, 10, 8, 6 work? It has always been y opinion that 12 is pushing it.

Most caddis are in the size 12 to 16 range, Baron.   The micro-caddis are much smaller,  size 20 or smaller.   The October caddis is usually tied on a size 8 or 10 hook.  I've run into them, but the patterns I've seen would make an excellent pan fish fly.  As far trout go, it's match the size.  Trout have large mouths with teeth, if there was a size 4 caddis out there, and that's what was hatching they'd take it.

Okay, Voice of reason, Makes sense. I have yanked allot of Gills out of the stump field as well as, ironically, very large Golden Shiners.

4 hours ago, Sandan said:

You use the feather not a puff for this one. Puffs make good wing cases though. July 10-17, Island Park. We'll def fish the fork. Also up in the park the madison, firehole if it isn't too hot, Slough Creek, Soda Butte creek and probably the Gallatin. 

I'll mark these locations to visit fortunately for the fish I will have 4 adult and 4 kids tagging along and we won't fish much past our VRBO home. We will be checking out the Crystal Creek area for next year. 

I'll order the feathers. I'll brand new to CDC. I accidentally bought some dubbing in creamy yellow and I love it......very fishy.

@chugbug27, Thanks.  I'll take that as a compliment, LOL.  

@Sandan, thanks.  

Those biot bodies look great.  Always look forward to the results of the Bugs and Bourbon.   

7 hours ago, Baron said:

I'll mark these locations to visit fortunately for the fish I will have 4 adult and 4 kids tagging along and we won't fish much past our VRBO home. We will be checking out the Crystal Creek area for next year. 

I'll order the feathers. I'll brand new to CDC. I accidentally bought some dubbing in creamy yellow and I love it......very fishy.

If you’re looking for quality CdC, and you’re in the area,  stop by Trouthunters in Island Park; they carry Rene Harrop’s stuff, which I’ve found to be good.

Regards,
Scott

Muddled Carnage Brown Drake

51226851674_aaa4791134_c.jpg

51227155740_1ae180b2ce_c.jpg

51226084031_58d93c3d4f_c.jpg

51227155715_98e1e96fef_c.jpg

Should probably open up the hook gap a bit

hook - WFC Model 28 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
core - 20lb mono
tail - moose body 
body - 1mm foam tan/tan marker 
wing - Congo Hair shiner tan 
head/collar - deer hair

Regards,
Scott 

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

If you’re looking for quality CdC, and you’re in the area,  stop by Trouthunters in Island Park; they carry Rene Harrop’s stuff, which I’ve found to be good.

Regards,
Scott

Scott, I'm too new to this to be any judge of quality. I find that if I shut up and listen I can benefit from this community immensely. I can be my own worst enemy when I stumble ahead on my own. It takes a little of both, I'm afraid, to win the war. Thanks. I can't wait to see this famous place. And I have at least two family members that will be just plain smitten.

logo.png

Mattie-s-Mistake-1080.jpg

Mattie's Mistake

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H

Thread - Black

Tag - Oval gold tinsel

Tail - Golden pheasant tippets

Butt - Hot orange chenille

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - Fluorescent green wool

Wing - Black squirrel tail

Hackle - Orange, collar style

Hair-Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies - Keith Fulsher & Charles Krom

5 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Regards,
Scott

+100 on trouthunter CDC

3 hours ago, Baron said:

Scott, I'm too new to this to be any judge of quality. I find that if I shut up and listen I can benefit from this community immensely. I can be my own worst enemy when I stumble ahead on my own. It takes a little of both, I'm afraid, to win the war. Thanks. I can't wait to see this famous place. And I have at least two family members that will be just plain smitten.

logo.png

It's a cool shop. The tying stuff is upstairs. The bar and restaurant is worth it too

Grizzly Muddler

833753969_GrizzlyMuddler81.thumb.jpg.0ce31957ec58587b264f388277c237e9.jpg

Hook: Size 8 Streamer

Tail and Wing: Grizzly Hen

Body: Silver Braid

Collar: Grizzly Hackle

Head: Mule Deer

30 minutes ago, Moshup said:

Nice TSMcDougald !

Thanks! Got it from the Featherbender's website. The head doesn't look like the one he tied - for some reason I have trouble with the kind of deer hair head...

Spent part of the weekend doing FishingBobNelson inspired tying.

McPhail super stretch Caddis, Caddis Pupa,  and Kelly Gallop's Goober and Butch Caddis all in 14.

Caddis Weekend 1.jpg

Caddis Weekend 2.jpg