Fly Tying
Chris_in_Louisiana

The Mayfly Project's 25 on the Fly Tournament (NY & RI) - More photos added

Hey guys,

Just got back from a 12 day road trip to upstate NY.  While it was largely a family visit (my wife hadn't seen her mother since pre-COVID), I did manage to slip away for four days to do some fishing with my cousin, Jake.  Our plan was to pre-fish for two days.  Then participate in The Mayfly Project's 25 on the Fly tournament.  A nationwide, catch-video-release format, we bounced around quite a bit targeting everything from brook trout to tiger musky along the way.

I'm still in the process of sorting through pics as I put together some blog posts on the trip, so I'll add a few pics and additional links from each day as I complete the four posts.

Up first was day 1 of pre-fishing in the finger lakes region. 

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/25-on-the-fly-part-1/

Enjoy

Chris

Musky-sign-rotated.jpg

Bluegill-on-Clouser-05-20-Musky-Bite-Clo

Rockbass-on-Clouser-05-20.jpg

Smallmouth-on-Deceiver-05-20-rotated.jpg

Paddling-5-evening.jpg

Great thread and great photos. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to drop everything at the house and go fishing. I'm going to copy the photo about care and release for tiger muskies to post on a FB page where fish care is a popular topic.

Finished up my third trip post last night.  This one covers day 1 of the tourney.  15 hours of fishing with lots of warmwater and a little coldwater mixed in.  The smallie below, caught on a large streamer while targeting a tiger muskie, is probably my personal best on the fly.

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/25-on-the-fly-part-3/

Chris

Smallie-Chris-CNY-5-22.jpg

Brown-Trout-Chris-CNY-5-22.jpg

Fall-Fish-Chris-05-22.jpg

Green-Sunfish-Chris-CNY-5-22.jpg

Carp-Chris-Erie-Canal-5-22.jpg

Got the last post from the trip finished and posted this morning.  While we covered a lot of new water on my first visit to Rhode Island, this day's highlight was definitely the ~15" wild rainbow pulled from beneath a log jam in a stretch of river known for small, wild brook trout.

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/25-on-the-fly-part-4/

Chris

Pickerel-Jake-RI-5-22.jpg

Crappie-Chris-RI-5-23.jpg

Brook-Trout-Chris-RI-stream-5-23.jpg

wild-rainbow.jpg

Striper-Jake-RI-Coast-5-23.jpg

One trip and a bunch of different fish. However...nothing like a carp on the fly!

Thanks guys!!  It was a very different trip (bouncing around the way we did), but one I really enjoyed.  Lots of challenges along the way, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.  We tallied 10 of 25 eligible species during the two days of tournament fishing, and I personally checked off 14 species over the course of the four days.  We're already planning for next year's tournament.

3 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

One trip and a bunch of different fish. However...nothing like a carp on the fly!

Most definitely.  And those Erie Canal carp made us work for it to.  That was the only one we managed to bring to net between pre-fishing and the tournament.

Chris