Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Au Sable trip / Daily updates

Steve, my best to you as you are one busy guy and deserve the time off. If your phone annd emails go unanswered, we'll form a search party to find you. Should be easy...just look at any stream for a guy waving a fly rod.

Trout water is still to hot this morning. I don't think it's ever gonna rain again 🙁So hiked up to above the trout water again for some warm water streamer fishing.

w7RXiMB.jpg

obmQruP.jpg

iWJ9z9j.jpg

06yeVVC.jpg

Pulled streamers for walleye again tonight but no wallys to net tonight. Did have a couple rainbows jump the streamer. One was quite the fat lil' football. They are calling for some more rain tomorrow (fingers crossed) sure hope so, that would help cool down the trout water where I can stop chasing bass/walleye and go back after what I really love which are trout. Then again long as there's a fly rod in my hand I won't complain.

VGWEKDW.jpg

wT8VrZo.jpg

Had a great morning on the river. Started overcast and cooler so pulled streamers all morning. Had some good size walleye, a big pike that absolutely crushed a streamer and wouldn't fit in my trout net, couple fat rainbow trout, and a deer came right up and checked me out. No place I would rather be than on the Au Sable. Time to tie some flies for the evening and then head back out closer to dark.

4K0CFS3.jpg

OZUjcBC.jpg

e9vJsvy.jpg

GurHVke.jpg

BZ5Jxco.jpg

YLXhvJa.jpg

Excellent Steve, I fish the S.B., and it has been very good, although I went to one of favorite small streams this week because of the heat. Nice workout for a old man, and some nice brookies. I’m not sure the water temp was that good so no pics, and frankly I try and them wet and gone.

mike.

Absolutely beautiful night on the river this evening. Have more pics to get off the camera but had to share this one before I shower and do the rest since I just got back to the motel. Had a good hatch of iso's right at dark with big fish rising to them. This one was rising a number of times so after about the 3rd or 4th time I drifted my iso dry over where it was coming up and he sucked it in. Excellent fight on the 10' 3wt as he jumped at least 8-10 times 3ft out of the water and tore back and forth across the pool peeling drag off the reel. Soon as I slide the net under him the fly popped right out. Just a gorgeous heavy Au Sable rainbow. Couldn't ask for a nicer night on the river.

dDymUOs.jpg

All the pics from this evening on the river. Temps finally dropped and the air temp was actually a bit chilly at times, felt weird after 95f earlier in the week. More walleye on streamers this evening, then some great browns and rainbow on dries. With the Pike and Walleye and trout this morning and these fish this evening, and strangely (for a Friday) having the river all to myself, was just a perfect day on the river.

MvPXcDL.jpg

LJyZ2Yt.jpg

X3D6YCN.jpg

xHO5g70.jpg

zN09K8t.jpg

EdW3MyQ.jpg

XAYFrEW.jpg

There is always one hallmark moment or day or night on these trips, that night might be yours . And if it keeps on comin then all the better ! That one rainbow on the dry would have satisfied me for the entire trip if I got nothing else. We got some football rainbows around here in one particular pond that turn on in the fall chironamid season out around Oct. That fish reminds me of some of those.

Twice this evening I have just stepped into the river only to have thunder/lighting start the very minute I start fishing. Not worth standing in water waving a graphite stick around. Tapping out for the day. Will sit in the AC at the motel and watch this Indiana Jones marathon, turn in early, so I can get up at daybreak and hit the river. Good news is that it poured finally, so water temp is falling and the river level is rising. Both are much needed things. Hopefully make for a good week of trout fishing ahead.

gmfzlOD.jpg

AdYzZIQ.jpg

Thoroughly enjoying vicariously fishing via your pictures.  Thank you for posting so often, Steve. 

I'm having some issues taking time to go fishing.  Mostly wind on the days I can go.   Then there's the 12 hours days at work, requiring weekday chores being put off until the weekends.  So ... your pictures are helping me get through my own dry spell !!!