Fly Tying

I’m relatively new to tying, and I was wondering if there is a fly you can tie to imitate a duckling in distress/dead?  Would you spin deer hair, or use feathers?  What size hook?

thanks

Just posted a reply regarding mouse and duck patterns. Don't know of a duck pattern but they are food for big fish.

I’ll bite.   Couple layers of 1/4” foam, cut out a head, and saddle hackles a body.  Didn’t have yellar thread.   Pull some rubber legs thru the foam with bobbin threader.   Wish I had some black swimmer legs.  Ain’t tried it yet... may be needs to be wider.   might role over...    could do one just foam maybe stick some feathers in the foam   All the thread is for is too attach feathers.   It’s not really as big a real duck but.... nothing like getting hit in the back of the head with half a chicken👍

5ACD4FAA-5020-4FBA-B152-B163A99E73F8.jpeg

28 minutes ago, denduke said:

I’ll bite.   Couple layers of 1/4” foam, cut out a head, and saddle hackles a body.  Didn’t have yellar thread.   Pull some rubber legs thru the foam with bobbin threader.   Wish I had some black swimmer legs.  Ain’t tried it yet... may be needs to be wider.   might role over...    could do one just foam maybe stick some feathers in the foam   All the thread is for is too attach feathers.   It’s not really as big a real duck but.... nothing like getting hit in the back of the head with half a chicken👍

96A318A2-21C3-4898-B62B-B19373BC89CC.jpeg

8AEC0D90-B1B4-43D1-AB58-3863B640565C.jpeg

5ACD4FAA-5020-4FBA-B152-B163A99E73F8.jpeg

Looking good!  I’ll try that.

6 hours ago, flytire said:

1a546887155c26549a98201027b1b3fa.jpg

Neat assortment... Any info or link on this one in particular? Thanks & appreciation in advance 

54 minutes ago, flytire said:

Google “duck fly”

it will show up in the images

Funny, I'd expect to se a video of me mid cast!

Kim

Is that your fly WWK?   I thought it was Mike Williams.  Couldn’t find in my search any details. 

4109C6C2-56B3-4814-ABD8-501227BC66BC.jpeg

@denduke, if there's anyone I'd pick to make this happen it's you! Well, there a few others, but you topped my guess who might do it list...

Here's what I found. I can't figure out the head and back.

http://mikesbigfishflies.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-duck-duckling.html?m=0

Just saw you thought it was Mike Williams. His is the blog where the pic was posted. Hadn't seen him before... One talented tyer.

Gotta change mine or start over.   The important thing is action like a swimming duckling.  Mine is kinda lame with the stiff rubber feet.  Since I don’t have black/ brown swimmer tails; easy way out and light weight.  I remember way back when there was a lure that had spinner blades for feet.  Not necessarily  spin but flutter.   I got plenty and gonna paint the blades black and install.   Work in progress.   Problem keep the thing a fly and not a lure....maybe some darker feathers mixed in too with some lil dark stubby wings out the sides  I don’t have yellow flanks just strung hackles...oh well.   Mostly a gimmick but this stuff gotta be fun or what’s the point....🤗

FD29070D-3E08-411D-A07E-E736C957DF5E.png

7 hours ago, denduke said:

Is that your fly WWK?   I thought it was Mike Williams.  Couldn’t find in my search any details. 

4109C6C2-56B3-4814-ABD8-501227BC66BC.jpeg

What about possibly making it look like a duck from under- would that be easier to tie?

Noah