Fly Tying
Ozarkfly

Free Fly tying material and breakfast

So today after work I was feeding my chickens and gathering the eggs I always see some feathers in the hen house. I picked up a few and I might try to use them on some Flies.  If anyone has a idea for the feathers I found please comment. Oh and that’s breakfast in the basket also. 

F8C6B2FF-3557-4EFB-BC33-288792B33885.jpeg

When collecting wing feathers (like the large one in your photo), always try to get a pair...one from the left wing and one from the right. This way you can pair them up when tying in wings on your flies.🙂

The most useful feathers from chickens would be the neck and saddle feathers.  These are usually harvested as a full patches on the skin.  Not something you might want to do, but you can pluck a few saddle or neck feathers from time to time.  

49 minutes ago, shoebop said:

When collecting wing feathers (like the large one in your photo), always try to get a pair...one from the left wing and one from the right. This way you can pair them up when tying in wings on your flies.🙂

Thanks for the advice I’ll do that next time I see some in the hen house. 

12 minutes ago, utyer said:

The most useful feathers from chickens would be the neck and saddle feathers.  These are usually harvested as a full patches on the skin.  Not something you might want to do, but you can pluck a few saddle or neck feathers from time to time.  

I’ll try to collect a few from Roosters cape and his Saddle. He’s a gentle Rooster has a nice pattern on his saddle. Here’s a pic of him. 

5C5229B0-15AB-4CE4-B64C-DD6F489668BD.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Where's the scrapple? It's not breakfast without the scrapple. 

Ok I had to look up “ Scrapple” sounds kinda sounds like spam 

12 hours ago, Ozarkfly said:
13 hours ago, utyer said:

I’ll try to collect a few from Roosters cape and his Saddle. He’s a gentle Rooster has a nice pattern on his saddle. Here’s a pic of him. 

Walt Dette didn't always skin out the necks of his valued birds, he would use a pillow case with a hole, put the roosters head through it and pluck hackles of the live bird. Gordon was said to have a favorite red cock that he plucked hackles from while it sat on his lap, maybe it knew what the alterative method was.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ozarkfly said:

Ok I had to look up “ Scrapple” sounds kinda sounds like spam 

Much better than Spam.   Sliced thin and dusted with flour to give it a nice crust, a couple of eggs and home fries.  You'll find it on the breakfast menu of most dinners around here. My niece and her husband kept three or four chickens when she was living in Austin.  Not sure what type they were but they laid light green, light blue and light tan eggs.  She would send me feathers when one of them quit laying and ended up in the pot.  I was able to tie some nice size 12 and 14 nymphs from the wing feathers.  Here's a couple of them.

PC050333.thumb.JPG.3a200c88c4630d2be0f24fdbd9861db2.JPG

14 minutes ago, Philly said:

Much better than Spam.   Sliced thin and dusted with flour to give it a nice crust, a couple of eggs and home fries.  You'll find it on the breakfast menu of most dinners around here. My niece and her husband kept three or four chickens when she was living in Austin.  Not sure what type they were but they laid light green, light blue and light tan eggs.  She would send me feathers when one of them quit laying and ended up in the pot.  I was able to tie some nice size 12 and 14 nymphs from the wing feathers.  Here's a couple of them.

Very nice Fly’s. There’s a few that lay colored eggs. I would love to try some of the Scapple 

38 minutes ago, Ozarkfly said:

I would love to try some of the Scapple 

Be careful what you wish for!

18 hours ago, Philly said:

Much better than Spam.   Sliced thin and dusted with flour to give it a nice crust

Never dusted it with flour sounds like the crust would be better if that's possible. crunchy scrapple and eggs, my cardiologist  does not approve of anything I enjoy. 

4 hours ago, cphubert said:

Never dusted it with flour sounds like the crust would be better if that's possible. crunchy scrapple and eggs, my cardiologist  does not approve of anything I enjoy. 

Yep, my doctor goes by the rule of- "If it tastes good - don't eat it!"

And I ALWAYS listen to my doctor! 🙄😉

Kim

On 6/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Philly said:

Oh I miss scrapple....and Taylor Pork Roll....and Philly Cheesesteaks. Ok...you made me homesick.