Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RickZieger

Pond fishing today.

Went to a pond today with the canoe. Black has always been a good color to use. So a black furl tailed mohair leech and a black slumpbuster.  Fish liked both of the flies.

Came home with 23 gills and for bass that had the gills injured.  Caught 2 or 3 bass for every gill I hooked. 

NO cell phone and forgot the camera. 

Rick 

"If there is no photo, it didn't happen."- Unknown. Sounds like a great day for you. What was the fly rig you used? Need to dust off our canoe and do likewise. Used to fish farm ponds in central KY and had bluegill many times with slaw, potato salad and Southern style iced tea.

5 wts with a 5 ft. furled leader and about 4 feet of 6lb mono.  Fish were all caught with fly less than a foot under the surface.

Rick 

Reminds me of a time we fished a bay off the main Hiwassee River. We anchored just off the main creek channel in about four feet of water. I was fishing a four weight, leader and tippet. Don't recall the rig details but I would cast to the bank on the far side of the channel, let the fly slowly sink and watch the leader and end of the fly line. When there was a twitching movement, set the hook! The fly line acted as a strike indicator that's an upscale word for bobber).