Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Repowered the jet boat and went fishing.

After years of working on the old jet boat I finally decided to put a new engine in there. I went with a new Kodiak 6.2 liter inboard. I also put in a new jet pump, wiring harness, cables and dash.

DSCF5942-X2.jpg

DSCF5941-X2.jpg

Can't think of a better way to break in the new motor than to take it fishing. We wanted to put hours on the boat so we trolled and caught some of these.

20210613_131619-X2.jpg

20210613_143010-X2.jpg

20210613_134025-X2.jpg

Fun was had by all, we caught some sun and fish and we worked out the boat a little. Next weekend should be able to get the rest of the 30-hour break-in period out of the way dip netting for sockeyes in the Chitina river, fun.

That is a hoss of an engine. They used to put them in cars and call them Muscle Cars. Good luck with fishing and your new toy.

Knew of a fellow who had a jet boat on a small lake in KY. He was traveling like a bat out of the Bad Place, lost power and steering, resulting in a cruise over the dam.

37 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

That is a hoss of an engine. They used to put them in cars and call them Muscle Cars. Good luck with fishing and your new toy.

Knew of a fellow who had a jet boat on a small lake in KY. He was traveling like a bat out of the Bad Place, lost power and steering, resulting in a cruise over the dam.

Damn

Dang Mark, that is nice, as is your timing. I just went and looked at a new 115/80 outboard jet for my boat this past weekend, 13K with no controls. 2 years ago, pre-COVID19, they were 9K with controls. I came home with another gallon of 2 stroke oil. 

I know you will enjoy that new motor in a great old boat. Dang that's a nice setup. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Dang Mark, that is nice, as is your timing. I just went and looked at a new 115/80 outboard jet for my boat this past weekend, 13K with no controls. 2 years ago, pre-COVID19, they were 9K with controls. I came home with another gallon of 2 stroke oil. 

I know you will enjoy that new motor in a great old boat. Dang that's a nice setup. 

Thanks Bud, maybe you would be able to come up and fish in it some time.

I was a fan of your Almar when it had a busted motor. One day I'm going to take you up on that offer. 

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I was a fan of your Almar when it had a busted motor. One day I'm going to take you up on that offer. 

Looking forward to it.

“Aren’t boats fun”… particularly when you’ve just re-powered and before things start needing work again.

Looks like a great rig - enjoy 

18 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

“Aren’t boats fun”… particularly when you’ve just re-powered and before things start needing work again.

Looks like a great rig - enjoy 

Yep, right now my Money to hours of fun-time in the boat ratio is $10,000.00 to 1. I'm going to need to work on that.

17 hours ago, richmce said:

you let the secret bait out!  saw the cheetos in the background

Oops. 😁

18 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

That is a heck of a nice setup to have. Power and reliability to spare on both accounts I bet.

Next, raise the hard top, then new curtains, a polish job and pin stripes. I'm trying to trick pretty girls into going fishing with me. If the boat is nice enough, maybe even my wife would go.