Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Tying the Mini Gamechanger

The Gamechanger was originally created by Blane Chocklett and consists of multiple "spines" to make a moveable tail. The pattern has soon become a more "style" of flies rather than one specific pattern. People use feathers to make feathered gamechangers, You can make your own dubbing brush to create one with specific materials, or you can go with Chockletts own game changer chenille that he created to make tying these a little easier. I went with the latter for this fly, however you are welcome to experiment with different materials to make it your own design. Whatever material you use, the trick with this fly is making sure that it tapers correctly, so that way the tail moves fluidly in the water. They work great for just about any species of fish that target small baitfish. Bass, pike, predatory brown trout, and even some saltwater species like redfish and tarpon.

Not only can you make a very realistic looking baitfish imitation with this style of fly, but you can also make a realistic swimming imitation. There are times where I will go out and throw everything in my box at bass or other weary fish and will get some followers, but none seem to want to commit. Then I throw one of these on, and the same bass that followed the other flies all the way up only to change their mind last minute will not hesitate to engulf the game changer. The combination of the amazing movement, and the great look of this fly usually will entice even the most shy fish.

These look awesome. I just ordered a kit the other day to try tying a few up. The rubber legs pattern looks very effective also, but I haven't been able to find any tying instructions anywhere. Any ideas?

6 hours ago, danthebugman said:

These look awesome. I just ordered a kit the other day to try tying a few up. The rubber legs pattern looks very effective also, but I haven't been able to find any tying instructions anywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks man.  Yeah give it a go.  Let me know how it turns out for ya.   Not heard of the rubber legs pattern.  Sorry.  

Thanks for sharing, @McFlyLures! This style of pattern has produced some of my largest fish over the last few years. Deciding to jump into the articulated streamer game was not an easy choice...more of a mental block. Once I did, GAME CHANGER (pun intended). I tend to use EP brushes for many of mine, as they save a ton of time, are resilient, and add a touch of weight while still allowing an easy cast.

Tim

On 6/18/2021 at 7:22 AM, McFlyLures said:

The Gamechanger was originally created by Blane Chocklett and consists of multiple "spines" to make a moveable tail. The pattern has soon become a more "style" of flies rather than one specific pattern. People use feathers to make feathered gamechangers, You can make your own dubbing brush to create one with specific materials, or you can go with Chockletts own game changer chenille that he created to make tying these a little easier. I went with the latter for this fly, however you are welcome to experiment with different materials to make it your own design. Whatever material you use, the trick with this fly is making sure that it tapers correctly, so that way the tail moves fluidly in the water. They work great for just about any species of fish that target small baitfish. Bass, pike, predatory brown trout, and even some saltwater species like redfish and tarpon.

Not only can you make a very realistic looking baitfish imitation with this style of fly, but you can also make a realistic swimming imitation. There are times where I will go out and throw everything in my box at bass or other weary fish and will get some followers, but none seem to want to commit. Then I throw one of these on, and the same bass that followed the other flies all the way up only to change their mind last minute will not hesitate to engulf the game changer. The combination of the amazing movement, and the great look of this fly usually will entice even the most shy fish.

When do you fish with them?