Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RexW

Namsen

"Namsen"
(Bates' recipe with substitutions.)

Tag: Silver tinsel and yellow silk
Tail: GP topping with red hackle fibers (still learning out how to add hackle without messing up the tail 🙁 )
Butt: Black ostrich herl
Body: Yellow, orange, red, and blue dubbing (sub'ed for seal and probably should not have used florescent colors 🙂 )
Rib: Silver flat tinsel and gold oval tinsel
Throat: Black hackle
Wing: Yellow, blue, & red goose, plus two shades of turkey that were sub'ed for feathers that I don't own.

Mistake on the wing with the blue overlapping the red. Surprisingly, it did exactly the same thing on both sides and both sides look identical. If the pattern used a JC eye, I think I could have hidden this mistake. Debated about adding a JC eye anyway to hide the mistake. 

I still have a lot of work to do learning to do tails and wings.

IMG_7211a_bc.jpg

I think your doing great. As you now know, certain materials can give you fits. Many challenges on each advancing step. Any advice , I would say tail a bit long and there are ways to getting wings to sit a bit lower by having the proper ‘base’ making sure there is slight taper to last body section. I sometimes throw two turns over throat hackle once it’s tied in, allowing for smooth base. Difficult to explain. If wing collapses when tying in I remove, re marry then steam which will straighten up the unruly butts. Head looks great and fly is nicely tied!

I have to agree with Bruce on all his points.

Just keep tying and working on the parts that you feel need to be corrected...at least that is what worked for me.

I've looked at this post several times and thought about it a fair amount...and here are some additional thoughts to go along with what Bruce had to say.

Proportions like tail length come with time and experience. My friend Gordeaux has been giving me grief for ages about my tails being too long, but it somehow suits my eye I guess.🙂

Regarding your tail, learn to tie in the material on just the center quill (rachis). This will allow the tail to look neat and correct without the wild fibers splayed out here and there. Same goes for the tail veil...plus put a slight kink in the veil so it sits over/not mashed into the tail. See the attached photo of a started fly. This isn't perfect but it give you an idea what I am talking about...I hope😁

The tip, tag, butt, body, rib, throat proportions are pretty much spot on.

As far as the wing goes...I believe it is possible but highly improbable that the fibers can be stacked perfectly straight under the pressure of the thread. Practice and time will help with that issue, and I have learned that a subtle/gentle touch and slowly applying that pressure are better than squeezing hard and using serious force to tie in the wing.

Like Bruce said, it can be difficult to explain these details in a few words here. You obviously have the talent to ties the classics...so stick with it RexW!!

1615031185_DSC_0018(2).thumb.JPG.6944063a860890a12475bbe1a7e63cee.JPG

Salarman and Bruce, thank you for the comments.  I think I am starting to understand tail length better.   I checked the photo with a ruler and it is more than double the gap.   I did not realize it was that long when I tied it.

After looking at more photos of the veil feathers, it appears that they are tied so they lay more flat and across the top of the GP tail feather.   I have been trying to split the feather so it would lay on either side of the tail.   I've been trying to put in the wrong location.

Thanks again.

RexW -

I've said this many times. If you can tie a basic wet fly, you can tie the classics...there are just more parts that require more planning. Use the internet for pictures of patterns that interest you. This will give you an image for your mind's eye to visualize what the finished product should look like.

To repeat myself...you do have the talent to tie these flies so keep at it. The journey and process are well worth it. This is a marathon, not a sprint!!

20 hours ago, RexW said:

Salarman and Bruce, thank you for the comments.  I think I am starting to understand tail length better.   I checked the photo with a ruler and it is more than double the gap.   I did not realize it was that long when I tied it.

After looking at more photos of the veil feathers, it appears that they are tied so they lay more flat and across the top of the GP tail feather.   I have been trying to split the feather so it would lay on either side of the tail.   I've been trying to put in the wrong location.

Thanks again.

When you explained what you just wrote, it tells us that you got it! Knowing the slight flaws is half the battle, now you need to be in charge of where and how the materials act. They can’t dictate where they go, your the captain, keep at it, great job so far