Fly Tying
salmobytes

Polar bear hair

Interesting topic to say the least. The polar bear I  own was purchased at Elsie & Harry Darbee's fly shop back in the EARLY 1970's, so I know it is legal. I don't think I would take the chance on either selling or buying any in this day and age no matter what the provenance.

I will add to those of you who have a supply...save and use the under fur for the bodies on your flies. It make seal fur look dull. Great stuff.....

12 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

No, they have already been paid for by the hunters and owned by those hunters. Currently, some import laws on exotic species (elephant for example) state they cannot be sold or used as raw material (it has to stay what it is forever)

That is if and when polar bear fur can be brought in to the US.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

That is if and when polar bear fur can be brought in to the US.

Yes, that's what i said.

Actually… polar bear hair was legal to import into the US, starting about 20 years ago, from Alaska… Haven’t heard whether that window is still open these days since it was premium material in small quantities (and pricey…).  Me I’m a wholesale buyer if at all possible… 

One other thing to mention about polar… it really takes dyeing very well - while keeping its natural surface shine.

2 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Actually… polar bear hair was legal to import into the US, starting about 20 years ago, from Alaska… Haven’t heard whether that window is still open these days since it was premium material in small quantities (and pricey…).  Me I’m a wholesale buyer if at all possible… 

One other thing to mention about polar… it really takes dyeing very well - while keeping its natural surface shine.

I have to chuckle at this response...Alaska is in the United States

My only brother has lived there for more than forty years - he thinks salmon is dog food and has acreage on the Matanuska river... We're as different as can be, I'm a fisherman - he's a hunter (and they haven't bought their meat at a store in years and years... ).  His idea of a rifle is a 375 H&H - he has three of them.... 

I know Alaska is part of the US - but must admit that I haven't thought of it that way... 

51 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

My only brother has lived there for more than forty years - he thinks salmon is dog food and has acreage on the Matanuska river... We're as different as can be, I'm a fisherman - he's a hunter (and they haven't bought their meat at a store in years and years... ).  His idea of a rifle is a 375 H&H - he has three of them.... 

I know Alaska is part of the US - but must admit that I haven't thought of it that way... 

Us up here don't think of Alaska as part of the US either. 😄

I still have a 2”x2” piece I bought in like 1969 or 1970. I’ve only tied a couple flies with it and it’s been put in storage ever since it’s a yellowed over the years.

12 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Us up here don't think of Alaska as part of the US either. 😄

Can't say I blame you at the moment.....