Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dripster

I almost got scammed

I recently posted my boat on The Steelhead Site trying to sell it. I received an email from a gentleman saying he wanted to buy the boat and would send instructions later. He got back to me saying he was going to send a money order and instructed me to "cash the checks at my bank" and I was to keep the payment for the boat and to "Western Union" the rest for his shipper to pick the boat up. I waited for nearly two weeks to receive the money from him and I finally sold it to someone else. The money was supposively on the way so he wanted me to get back to him when I received the money orders. They came in the mail yesterday and he sent me instructions on what to do. For my efforts I was to "cash them at my bank" and take $500 for me and split the rest between two other gentleman in the Netherlands. Something seemed very fishy about this so I took them to the post office and they said they were fake and I was being scammed. Thank goodness I sold the boat to the other gentleman because if I would have cashed the checks I would have lost my boat and had to repay the $9000 for the faulty checks for a total of $13000. I just want everyone out there to be very careful and do some research before they become a victim. The post office said that it is a pretty big scam going on here in Michigan. The money orders had the US Postal Service Money logo printed on the top with the amount printed on the top right hand corner and the "real" ones do not print the amount in the corner. BE CAREFUL.

Dripster

Watch for the ones that offer you more than you want for going through the trouble of selling outside your area. A guy got scammed on a truck forum I go to.

Someone tried to scam me the same way from India until I sent him my work address - the local police dept. bugeyes.gif - and for some reason he changed his mind and ended all contact. dunno.gif Crazy isn't it. I imagine he did a google to see where the address was. I contacted the FBI and sent them the email but never heard anything back.

Most of these too good to be true deals are fake. Would you over pay someone hoping they would send the extra money to someone else? I asked the FBI what would happen if I kept the extra money if it was a good offer and he told me the guy would have to make a report in India and I could never go there. tongue.gif

thats crazy dipster. thank god you became suspicous and then did a check on it. some people are down right nuts to try and pull something like this off, Bud