Fly Tying
Gundriver64

Grayling's Taste for Color

Hi Guy's,

Have an opportunity to fish for grayling coming up and was wondering about fly design with color as one of the elements.   With respect to colors and an attractor dry fly do grayling have a penchant for any particular color?

Thanks Much!

G

I'm not sure where you are going, but around here, they like salmon egg colors like red and pink. There is a very popular, local grayling pattern that was developed here called the "Salcha Pink". Small Egg-sucking leaches work well as do Royal Coachmen. Blue Sparkle Duns work good too. I tie a fly I call the Egg Butt Scud that works well. Although they lack color, mosquitoes and gnats work well too.

Good luck, Have fun.

23 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm not sure where you are going, but around here, they like salmon egg colors like red and pink. There is a very popular, local grayling pattern that was developed here called the "Salcha Pink". Small Egg-sucking leaches work well as do Royal Coachmen. Blue Sparkle Duns work good too. I tie a fly I call the Egg Butt Scud that works well. Although they lack color, mosquitoes and gnats work well too.

Good luck, Have fun.

Thanks Mark!

I find that grayling are not picky, almost any dry fly will work especially earth tone colors (black, olive , gray, brown etc). my favorite dry is a Griffith gnat with black hackle and red or orange butt and next a ginger quill. nymphs work better for the big guys 16"+, a wired stone fly in size 6 to 12 is my go to especially if they're hugging the bottom. I had grayling hit streamers for lake trout, roe bags (eggs), buggers etc.

15 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

I find that grayling are not picky, almost any dry fly will work especially earth tone colors (black, olive , gray, brown etc). my favorite dry is a Griffith gnat with black hackle and red or orange butt and next a ginger quill. nymphs work better for the big guys 16"+, a wired stone fly in size 6 to 12 is my go to especially if they're hugging the bottom. I had grayling hit streamers for lake trout, roe bags (eggs), buggers etc.

:)